DIY Offset and 1st Cook...

TRRH

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greetings
...Had a 1st cook today on my DIY offset. It's basically a 55 gal oil drum, 5" stove pipe, steel sawhorse stand, ceramic shelf, hockey stick handle ..EH? And a great old Norwegian cast iron stove for the firebox. The chimney is at the rack. The BBQ Dragon variable fan is a great accessory that helps maintain the desired temp. Pics are of offset and Baby Back Ribs with a pepper:salt 2:1 rub with added Sumac for some color and citrus flavour.

Cheers from New Brunswick, Canada
Ps was only able to upload 1 photo

Last edited:
Great looking smoker... don't think I've ever seen one accessorized with a the spittoon before.

Pron of ribs from DIY Offset

Hi
Since I was only able to load 1 pic earlier, here is one of the BB ribs ...cooked at 260-275 at the 3 hour stage

Last edited:
Nice set up!!
Is that a hockey stick handle? Love it. :-D

that is sweet.. well played...you gonna clean the grates with a zamboni?

Nice work. Wish I had a dollar for every smoker I've seen that looks just like yours. Shoot I'd have a whole dollar!

When I saw the hockey stick handle I scrolled up to your profile to see what part of Canada you lived in.

Looks good.

May be the camera angle of the stick, but it looks like you may be a southpaw.

Chris

2nd Cook..temp consistent at both ends?

Greetings
In my 2nd cook on a DIY offset, I monitored the temps at the firebox end of the oven and the exhaust. I was surprised that when it read 250f at one end it measured the same 250f at the other end (at grate level...my chimney is also at grate level). Not sure why it wasn't hotter near firebox end. I had a small hot oak fire in my cast iron fire box and it seemed to draw well and it was easy to maintain the desired temp by adding a small log every 15 min or so. Perhaps the hot air entered quickly and exited fast as well.

Here is a pic if the BB ribs and Turkey breast (can only load one pic from my iPad...)
Cheers
Terry

Last edited:
More Pron

Here is another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 38
Back