How to smoke wings

Big Brian

Reaction score
Hello all, I am going to be smoking wings at every home game come football season, we got Harbaugh! And want to smoke wings, I have never done wings before so was looking for any advice, recipes , temps, times. Any recommendations to make it easier, cooking for roughly 50 people on average. I've attached pics of my cooker.

Attachments

• 20150613_141933.jpg
    20150613_141933.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 750
  • 20150613_141619.jpg
    20150613_141619.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 747
Huh? What? Wwings ....? I can't get past looking at your sexy cooker!!
:shock:

Btw, how u gonna post something that sexy and not put what it is in your signature?
Who made it? What size?

You got harbaugh? My fiancé is a die hard buckeye and she would kill me for helping a Michigan fan but oh well... Haha

I've done hot and fast, 375-400 (hot as my smoker goes) for under and hour and it works great but no smoke flavor. Only reason to go high is for the crisp skin and if you want that then fry them.

Low and slow is the way to go in my opinion when smoking wings. You don't get the crisp but you get a great smoke flavor and they're amazingly juicy. Pull them off and serve with sauce on the side. Trust me, people won't want sauce though.

Also, holy hell... That is one nice smoker!

Just my personal opinion but... Get you some Alabama white sauce and slather it on in the last couple of minutes of a low and slow or after you pull them off if hot and fast. It soaks in the skin and crisps it up and the flavor is killer. It will be a hit, guaranteed.

(Stolen photo)

IMG00042-20101114-1122.jpg

Okay, it is a big world out there. Up here in NY, I've never heard of Alabama white sauce. How about a recipe? .....or a source. You might need a distributor here.

I like rotissering them over a real fire....perfect wings but in your equipment i'd cook them to 180 ish and then give them a hot fire sear.

Wings have plenty of fats so cook them well to get them good and tender.

I toss my wings in olive oil and whichever good chicken rub suits me on that day. Then I let them sit in the fridge for a couple hours. Smoke them low and slow (225-235) over some cherry or apple wood for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours until I get the color I want. They are really good but I too like the skin a little crisp so I take them out and throw them on a medium hot grill just long enough to tighten the skin up. Good stuff!

Whenever I do mine I smoke them for an hour at 250 then throw them on the gasser high heat about a minute a side to crisp up the skin.

I inject my drummetts and let them marinate several hours before smoking. I have several of the racks indicated below, and place them on my kamado style cooker at approximately 350-375 degrees.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ6EU36/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009KF3QC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11CD67QP1BRVRJH2V0KX"]Amazon.com : King Kooker #12WR 12-Slot Leg and Wing Grill Rack for Poultry : Chicken Rack For Grill : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RdAWmf-xL.@@AMEPARAM@@51RdAWmf-xL[/ame]

I'm a lazy bastige and don't always plan very far in advance, so what I'll do is hit 'em with some kind of rub (usually a sweet/spicy like Simply Marvelous) early in the day and let sit in the fridge uncovered for a few hours, then hit with high heat - like 400+. Toward the end I'll dunk them in whatever sauce I'm using (usually 50/50 Frank's/melted butter), let it set, maybe brush a little more on, let that set, the take 'em off, let 'em cool a bit, and eat.

That smoking with the AL white sauce sounds like a great idea - I love that stuff on whole chix and haven't done it on wings. I'll give that a try.

You can do a lot with wings - some kind of fruit with some kind of heat is usually a great combo, as well as garlic/sriracha (a la Moose), pepper sauce/butter, etc. There are a million ways to go about it and most of them are good.

Doesnt get better than smoke-fried. Smoke them normally (still go light on the wood ala normal chicken) but once they are ready, drop in the fryer to crisp the skin.

Prepare to be king of the wing

Yep I smoke mine with cherry for about an hour or so and then crisp them up in the fryer and toss them in whatever sauce im using that day.

You guys that fry do you strain and refrigerate your oil after you're done? And how many times do you do this til you toss the oil?

Hi Guys
New guy here. I had some good success with my Brinkmann vertical smoker, (its what i cut my teeth on in BBQ............hold back your jokes:roll: ). I purchased some McCormick wing seasoning and coated the little buggers in it, let them sit over nite and then on the smoker. I went low and slow 225 - 250 F, and used 50 /50 mix of apple cider and water in the water pan.
My family went nuts for the wings and now its highly requested. the problem is a 10lbs bag goes quick for a family of 4.:mrgreen:
Also tried marinating the wings in Franks red hot wing sauce overnite. it was ok, not as hot as I would like it. i still think the McCormicks was the better of the 2.
As of lately my local supermarkets aren't carrying the MC C wing seasoning.
Good Luck with the wings:eusa_clap

Back