Aaron Franklin does a KCBS Competition

I will say this. It didn't seem like his first competition. He has his processes down and trimming down. I guess he picked up something from his season judging on BBQ pitmasters!

Was also neat to find out how he finished.

I will say this. It didn't seem like his first competition. He has his processes down and trimming down. I guess he picked up something from his season judging on BBQ pitmasters!

Did he judge Pitmasters? I only remember Tuffy, Myron and Moe.

Seeing that confirms that I NEVER ever ever want to do comps.

It's not for everyone, but it can be a lot of fun. There is a nice comp in Plymouth, IN in September and I'm sure that some Brethren will be there. You should stop by and visit some of them and see what it is like in person!

I have always noticed that in his videos and book that he makes statements like "if I were doing a competition, I would ..."

I had always wondered if he secretly wanted to participate in a KCBS or other sanctioned contest.

I would have loved to taste his competition brisket

It's not for everyone, but it can be a lot of fun. There is a nice comp in Plymouth, IN in September and I'm sure that some Brethren will be there. You should stop by and visit some of them and see what it is like in person!

I would but during football season? :shock: Someone better have satellite tv's going for games...and especially ND

Yeah he learned from the Poobah himself. Or as he is referred to in Franklin's book "Long Island Phil". lol

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2219482&postcount=93

on edit: BTW Ren did you ever buy that lonestar on craigslist?

I also remember him, maybe season 2? With Chris Lilly I believe?

Edit- it was season 3 with aaron, tuffy, and myron.

i checked the results from that contest it was around the first week of August last summer. what was his team name? nothing stood out unless i missed it.

I also remember him, maybe season 2? With Chris Lilly I believe?

I think it was season 3; the one after the dip $hit host who starred in a food network star show. that was a horrid season when they were cooking rattle snake and alligator and not smoking much if i recall.

It was either season 4 or 5 that he was on BBQ Pitmasters as a judge. It was when they did the regional challenges. NC, Texas, Georgia, Kansas City, Memphis.... and they typically had 2 comp teams and 1 restaurant.

I remember him because it was the first time I had heard of the term Sugar Cookie when discussing the really fatty portion of brisket that renders down has a sweetness like a sugar cookie.

I would but during football season? :shock: Someone better have satellite tv's going for games...and especially ND
You'd be amazed. Others feel the same way, so they do just that! YOu will often find tv's etc., at a contest:shock:

Him and John Lewis did competitions back when Franklins was just the trailer. John Lewis is now the pitmaster for LA Barbeque and opening his own spot.

Back