• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

tip for sauce

birgey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For those of us that swear by making our own sauce, let me let you in on a secret. Well, maybe not a secret, and I'm sure most of you already do this, but...ADD APPLE BUTTER.
I've always put apple butter in my sauce, but I decided to add (quote a bit) more in my last batch. Came out farkin' awesome! Put it on some baby backs, and the added sweetness was a welcome addition. You may need to add just a little more cayenne to give it just a little more heat after the first initial sweet, but it's good!
(And sorry if yall already know or already do this. I actually tripled the amount that I put in mine. And sorry, I can't give out my entire recipe...)
Happy smokin'!

I'm intrigued...lets hear more of this apple butter you speak of. How does one make apple butter?

(out of lurk mode...)

Trouble is, when I buy any it usually all ends up on hot buttered biscuits. Unless I happen to have made some deep-fried biscuits!

May have to buy double next time...

There are many sweet additions you can make to sauces to change 'em up a bit.
Grape jelly, apple jelly, apricot preserves, etc... , and one of my favorites, blackberry preserves.

This is a good tip I'm going to have to try. I think the cinnamon, cloves and allspice are apple butter flavor enhancers that I wouldn't instinctively add to bbq sauce on their own. I think the natural pectin and fiber would add something good for texture as well.

Would you replace some of the sugar in your sauce with the apple butter?

This is a good tip I'm going to have to try. I think the cinnamon, cloves and allspice are apple butter flavor enhancers that I wouldn't instinctively add to bbq sauce on their own. I think the natural pectin and fiber would add something good for texture as well.

Would you replace some of the sugar in your sauce with the apple butter?

I don't replace the sugar with apple butter. I just add it to my sauce while I make it. Personally, I will also add just a little bit more cayenne. You get this nice candy like sweet goodness, then followed by just a bit of heat. Perfect for ribs!

Grape jelly, apple jelly, apricot preserves, etc... , and one of my favorites, blackberry preserves.

I've also added grape jelly, apricot preserves, and apple jelly. Last batch I made I added some freshly made Amish cherry preserves.

ditto to that!

Big Brother Smoke from Simply Marvelous has had a sauce recipe with Apple Butter that's been around forever. as a matter of fact, it's pretty good even when scaled down to smaller amounts.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1525764&postcount=31

Big Brother Smoke’s Apple BBQ Sauce

256 oz. Ketchup (2 cans)
¼ cup your favorite rub (I use Sweet and Spicy)
1 quart Apple Sauce
10 oz. Apple Butter
1 cup Apple Cider
2 cup Apple Juice
1 cup Honey
¼ cup Garlic Powder
1/ 4 cup Onion Powder
1/8 cup Oregano
1/8 cup Thyme
½ cup Yellow Mustard
1/8 cup red pepper flakes

Bring to a boil and let sit in the pot for about 12 hours or until cool before storing.

This is a good base sauce and you can doctor it easily (I always do based on my mood) with brown sugar for more of a sweetener; cayenne for heat; red food color or caramel food color for more of a mahogany thing. If you need more smoke flavor use cumin

Last edited:
Been doing this for a while now, primarily on chicken. My go to recipe for entertaining has been my brined boneless/skinless chicken thighs with apple butter bbq sauce. It's a basic brine for about an hour in cold salt water and lemon juice. Then lightly smoke with hickory or apple, spraying with AJ every 20 minutes or so, then finish over direct for the last 10 minutes or so with apple butter bbq sauce (50% sweet baby rays, 50% apple butter).

^^^. Hahahaha!! ^^^ love your apple butter thread, too!!

Actually Birgey, you got be so interested in apple butter and apple cider vinegar that I'm making a vat-load of both. Cheap, cheap, tasty and I'm going organic with it

Back