Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Thanks for the pics harley. So is that 1/4" gap on 3 side of the water pan enough flow for that size cook chamber? Did some reading on the Humphrey and backwoods and their air gaps are around 1- 1/2" from what I found. Hopefully get some funds saved up by end of year for one.

Oh yeah, PLENTY of gap! I used about 6-8 small chunks of wood plus my Stubbs briquettes and I can get a 1/2" deep smoke ring and when you open the door you have to wait for 5 seconds before you can even see into the smoker!

Or you can go really light on the smoke if you want...that's the beauty of the insulated smoker and the efficient firebox.

Thanks for the insight fellas. Those q pics made my mouth water. Impressive ring on that sausage! I've been back and forth between a offset stick burner or cabinet and that bark pic seals the deal that I can get the result of a stick burner with less of a footprint. I favor a more medium to heavy smoke flavor, so with these I would think you just add more chunks on top of the coals per inch to get a heavier smoke?

Thanks again, just wanting to make sure I spend the money right the first time to not regret my decision.. Or have to explain to the Mrs that I boogered up with that much money

You can definitely get a rich medium to heavy smoke flavor out of this cooker. I aim for that as well.

I usually cover the coals in about a dozen wood chunks with a mixture of mesquite and hickory and it produces some amazing smoke flavor and bark.

Just got an email from Chris at LSG checking up on me. Seems a member of the Brethren blabbed I was having issues. Snitches man...

<kidding> :mrgreen:

But great customer service on Chris to contact me to figure out if he could help...

Just got an email from Chris at LSG checking up on me. Seems a member of the Brethren blabbed I was having issues. Snitches man...

But great customer service on Chris to contact me to figure out if he could help...

Its the kind of customer service you just want to hug :)

What did Chris suggest?

I sent him an email with what I had tried. He wanted to call, but I was just getting off an overnight deployment from hell, so we are going to hook up later...

Well, I saw LSG cabinet at a auction for a local restaurant. I read up on the reviews and couldn't pass this deal up, even though we have 4 drums, a WSM, and a gravity feed in the works.

The build quality is amazing. The black paint is top notch.

it was used only a couple times before the restaurant closed. Unfortunately no one emptied the water pan before they locked the doors. I ran out of degreaser before getting it clean, hopefully a second gallon and a power wash will do the trick.

Mine has the stock casters on it. Has anyone replaced theirs with something beefier? We plan on taking this to competitions, and need something that will roll on grass. Also, has anyone gone with 4 spinning casters, instead of two fixed?

Is anyone able to get some measurements for me, I can't get to mine for a few days? I am needing the distance from the front and back edge and the left and right edge to the smoke stack and the distance from the front and back edge to the filler stack. Thanks for the help, I am trying to order a custom cover for it and these where the only measurements I forgot to get.

Well, I saw LSG cabinet at a auction for a local restaurant. I read up on the reviews and couldn't pass this deal up, even though we have 4 drums, a WSM, and a gravity feed in the works.

The build quality is amazing. The black paint is top notch.

it was used only a couple times before the restaurant closed. Unfortunately no one emptied the water pan before they locked the doors. I ran out of degreaser before getting it clean, hopefully a second gallon and a power wash will do the trick.

Mine has the stock casters on it. Has anyone replaced theirs with something beefier? We plan on taking this to competitions, and need something that will roll on grass. Also, has anyone gone with 4 spinning casters, instead of two fixed?

Fire it up and a lot of the mess will come off when you drain it.

I wouldn't plan on it moving across grass, no matter what casters you use. As you can tell, it is very heavy. The larger casters help moving it around on solid ground.

Kaptain,

I will try to get you the measurements you need today.

Frank H,

I have the upgraded 8" locking casters on mine, they won't roll on grass. Too thin and to small of a caster footprint for grass surface, and way to heavy.

But you can roll on grass with either the standard or the 8" casters, if you use the 2 piece 4x8 sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood leapfrog method. Put one sheet down, roll smoker to the opposite edge, insert second sheet, overlapping the plywood under the leading edge as you go, roll, repeat until you get where you are going. With a few guys it is pretty easy.

Kaptain,

Here are the dimensions you wanted:

Fill to back - 12 5/8"
Fill to front of door (thermo stick out not included) - 14 5/8"
Fill itself is 3"x3", 2" high

Stack to left side is 15 1/8", same for stack to right side.
Front of stack to front of door (thermo stick out not included) - 14 1/2"
Stack to back is 11 3/4"
Stack is 4"x4", 7" tall including the damper stud.

Hope that helps.
Jason

Frank H,

Best way to clean that neglected pit and waterpan is to fill the firebox about 1/3 full of briquettes (about $3.50 worth!) on the left side edge, add a couple chunks hickory on top, then light the front left edge with a torch.

Leave waterpan empty and dry.

Open your ball valve(s) all the way until your temp shows 275, then close the front ball valve leaving 2/3 open. If you have a back ball valve close it fully.

When temp shows 325 close ball valve to 1/3 open.

Let the pit run there at 325-350 for the next 10-12 hours.

Shouldn't require any babysitting from you, go on about your business.

Temp will fall eventually, just let it burn itself out.

Water pan can then be easily scraped and vacuumed out with a shop vac. Waterpan will be very clean and smoker will be seasoned (again) and ready to go.

There won't be anything but black crumbles in your waterpan after 10-12 hours at 325 or so.

If you want to run at 250-275 instead, results will be similar, but I find over 300 really works great to incinerated anything in the waterpan, as well as causing it to dry up and peel off very easily. I simply remove the lower two shelves, scrape everything off with a putty knife, and vacuum out. Works great!

When I cook on my LSG, I add around 3 hours of additional burn time so that my pit continues to burn after I have removed my food. When food is done and removed, I open my ball valves fully and let the pit rise to 350 and burn itself out from there. Pit pretty much self cleans if you run it this way.

Kaptain Kadian I sent you a pm. Fellow BA guy and I just ordered my cabinet last week. Super stoked !

Kaptain,

Here are the dimensions you wanted:

Fill to back - 12 5/8"
Fill to front of door (thermo stick out not included) - 14 5/8"
Fill itself is 3"x3", 2" high

Stack to left side is 15 1/8", same for stack to right side.
Front of stack to front of door (thermo stick out not included) - 14 1/2"
Stack to back is 11 3/4"
Stack is 4"x4", 7" tall including the damper stud.

Hope that helps.
Jason

Thank you. Big help

Well, I finally got the 3" of baked in fat out of my used smoker. It wasn't a fun job. It had nothing to do with the smoker design, this was all on the previous owner.

So, I will need to cook 10-12 briskets for a party this December. I've never cooked this much meat at once, and nowhere close to that in my new LSG.

Has anyone here done something similar? I know the cook will take longer, I need a feel for how much longer. I'd rather not do a practice run with 12 briskets. I'm thinking run the cooker without water, the humidity from the meat is probably enough.

As a practice run, I might try cooking two briskets. And add several pans with 2gal of water, covered with dish towels to simulate additional briskets. I know it won't be exact, but surely it'll give me a better idea.

Back