• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kettle Smoked Chicken...First Time!...PrON

looks good, but one question...if you're aiming for 325°, why not just bank some unlit briqs on 1 side, and dump on a full mini-chimney's wort of lit briqs on top? That'll get you at least to 325° with a lot less set up time and effort.

I'm pretty new to smoking on a kettle, and have only used a fuse, so far. I was under the impression that the fuse is easier for temp control. Since I tried using a deep dish pizza pan as a heat diverter/grease catcher, I figured the fuse would burn around the edge, and it did. What I didn't figure on was how long it would take to approach cooking temp, and that the temp would start dropping halfway around the fuse. I still can't figure that one out. I'm wondering now if the pan is a bad idea.

I'm pretty new to smoking on a kettle, and have only used a fuse, so far. I was under the impression that the fuse is easier for temp control. Since I tried using a deep dish pizza pan as a heat diverter/grease catcher, I figured the fuse would burn around the edge, and it did. What I didn't figure on was how long it would take to approach cooking temp, and that the temp would start dropping halfway around the fuse. I still can't figure that one out. I'm wondering now if the pan is a bad idea.

Try without the diverter. just foil the middle of the charcoal grate so all of the air that comes in the bottom goes to the coals, not up to the food in the center.

Also, the kettle will hold temps like a champ with a bank of coals like I mentioned...especially for such a short cook. Oh, and even if the temp varies during the cook, it won't really matter.

top vent wide open bottom vent 1/4" and I will keep 250 steady on my weber if I want higher heat I open the bottom vent a little more till I get where I wanna be
good looking yb

Back