Fake Apple Pie Shine

AussieMatt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I took my Apple Pie "Shine" to the Akron Brethren bash and have since been asked for the recipe. This is how I make it until I get my still...

If this is the wrong area for this post, can a mod move it please?

1 gallon apple cider
1 gallon 100% apple juice (make sure it's 100% and not the pear apple blend)
1/2 cup brown sugar
7 sticks cinnamon
3 750ml bottles of 151 proof vodka (I use Galen's cause it's what's available)

Mix the juices, sugar and cinnamon in a large pot over a mid/high heat until boiling.

Take off the heat and let cool completely. This usually takes about 6 hours.

Strain the mixture back into the containers using cheesecloth.

Clean out the pot and pour all the vodka into it, then add the juice mixture. (This mixes it)

Decant into quart jars or any container you see fit to use.

I know this is not real shine (that is not up for debate), but it's very popular and pretty potent...ask me how I know. :biggrin1:

Looks good! Are there any other flavors other than Apple cider that can be made?

Since this is a BBQ site you could do a charred flavor. Just drop a little lump charcoal in there and let it mingle. It's a popular shine flavor around these parts. Also lemon-lime is a popular shine flavor here as well. Not sure what flavors they use to make it. Tastes like lemon-lime Gatorade. The Gatorade lightening bolt is appropriate.

Since this is a BBQ site you could do a charred flavor. Just drop a little lump charcoal in there and let it mingle. It's a popular shine flavor around these parts. Also lemon-lime is a popular shine flavor here as well. Not sure what flavors they use to make it. Tastes like lemon-lime Gatorade. The Gatorade lightening bolt is appropriate.

That reminds me of my cousin. Lets just say he drinks alot. He always had a bottle of "gatorjuice" on hand.

Forgot about cherry. Just drop the fruit in it. Grapes, cherries, apples etc. Let'em sit for as long as u like in the fridge til the fruit releases it flavor into the liquor. I like using dried fruits for this as well.

I've got some dried cherries I've had sitting in some Junior Johnson shine for over two years. Every now and then I shake the jar and take off the lid and take a sip. Yum.

I've been tinkering with this for a few years. This is what I use for
the recipe now.

1 gallon apple cider
1 gallon apple juice
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 gallon of Graves or Everclear 190 proof.
2 heaping tablespoons of apple pie spice ( I found a recipe on line and make my own)
half gallon of 190 proof grain alcohol. Everclear or Graves.
Bring cider, juice, sugar and honey to a boil stirring frequently to break down the sugars.
Add spices and simmer until it looks like the spices have broken down into the liquids.
Let cool and add the half gallon.
I strain mine through a fine screen before I add the alcohol to eliminate any solids.
I add a cinnamon stick to the mason jars when I fill them.

Funny story regarding this stuff.

I made that last batch and gave a half gallon to a buddy that was going to a breast cancer benefit.
Some bikers showed up and apparently a mountain of a man named caveman did a shot and labeled it "apple juice" Not overly
impressed with it potency I guess. 8 shots and an hour or so later, one of his buddies (Squirrel) comes over and asks "what was in that stuff? Caveman's just about done!" (Caveman was laying next to campfire doing his impression of a couch) The host gave the rest of the bottle to the bikers. Apparently, it took down Squirrel, a prospect and two ole' ladies.
The stuff really does sneak up on you.

Best part of a Good Apple pie is it tends to make wimmens clothes fall off:wink: The only difference between the Vodka and a Nice WhiteDog is the Vodka is distilled in a column still to make a Neutral spirit and White dog comes from a Pot still and the grain flavors come through. Also commercial distillers tend to toss the fores and run heads to deep tails, and that is what gives you the big head in the mornin. Bonded booze is over rated. I like my corn from a jar with a Charred oak stick soakin in it. :becky:

Best part of a Good Apple pie is it tends to make wimmens clothes fall off:wink: The only difference between the Vodka and a Nice WhiteDog is the Vodka is distilled in a column still to make a Neutral spirit and White dog comes from a Pot still and the grain flavors come through. Also commercial distillers tend to toss the fores and run heads to deep tails, and that is what gives you the big head in the mornin. Bonded booze is over rated. I like my corn from a jar with a Charred oak stick soakin in it. :becky:
The problem with non-commercial moonshine is you have to know the still. At the price of copper, some shiners cut corners with used heater coils and radiators.

The problem with non-commercial moonshine is you have to know the still. At the price of copper, some shiners cut corners with used heater coils and radiators.
The majority of what I call Craft Spirits that are for sale come from Good equipment you have to remember it is part of an underground economy, If you use bad equipment you'd be killin off your clients and it would taste bloody awful. A fellar would be more than just out of business more & likely he would be enjoying a well deserved dirt nap. That old radiator story is basically a wives tale perpetuated by gooberment revenue agents to temper sales by scaring the uninformed public.

The majority of what I call Craft Spirits that are for sale come from Good equipment you have to remember it is part of an underground economy, If you use bad equipment you'd be killin off your clients and it would taste bloody awful. A fellar would be more than just out of business more & likely he would be enjoying a well deserved dirt nap. That old radiator story is basically a wives tale perpetuated by gooberment revenue agents to temper sales by scaring the uninformed public.

This. Anyone I've ever got it from has drank the same stuff I have. I remember one time my father in law said I'm not drinking that crap it
makes you blind. Haha might make you see double but never got blind off it. A lot of people go off hear say and not the actual truth.

All I can tell you is every time I make that someone ends up getting REDNECK and has to walk home from the party, or gets a ride in the ambulance HA, Good Stuff ............ I always use Everclear, can't seem to find that kind of Vodka around here, but they sure sell Everclear

Looks good! Are there any other flavors other than Apple cider that can be made?
This is one that I make for our parties

Strawberry Lemonade Moonshine
Recipe courtesy of Rockin W BBQ
Ingredients:
2 Cups fresh squeezed lemon juice ( 10 lemons)
2 Pints strawberries, hulled and halved
3 Cups of white cane sugar (add more if needed)
1 Quart of Moonshine (I usually cut my moonshine to 120- 140 proof)
8 Cups of water
Directions:
In a food processor or blender, puree the strawberries with 1 cup of water.
In medium stock pot mix together 7 cups water, 3 cups sugar, 2 cups of lemon juice and the strawberry mixture.
Stir till sugar melts over medium heat, then simmer for 2 minutes.
Turn off the heat.
Add 1 quart of your favorite clear 120-140 proof moonshine.
Then taste, adding more moonshine & sugar as needed.
Strain through cheesecloth or a standard strainer.
Refrigerate until well chilled, will keep for a week.

Yep 3. With the mix ration it runs about 18% ABV.
3 bottles? I was never into desserts or baking, but from the sounds of that - I think I can get into it.

Reminds me of helping my family prepare christmas eve dinner (semi-polish household). I always wondered why there were 2 bottles of vodka, but only a few oz's were required for the recipe haha. Boy was I naive.

Back