When to season a rib roast.

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm helping a friend with a catering at their place. They are cooking rib roast for 225. We have the amount covered, 10 roasts at 167#. My question is when to season the roast. I am going to do it about 4 hours before they go in the oven. I was wondering if anyone does it 24 hours before? I was afraid that the salt in the seasoning would pull out too much moisture from the meat and I wouldn't have the best product. What do you think?

although it somewhat depends on what seasonings you are using, I rarely season roast more than an hour before cooking. There just isn't any reason to believe that it enhances the meat by going longer.

I would be hesitant. I've never seasoned more than a short while before. Salt tends to suck the juices out. If given enough time, usually 24 hours, those juices (and salt) get reabsorbed into the meat. I don't think I'd want to be experimenting on this cook though.

I season while the oven/smoker is coming to temperature.

Ted and Barney’s Seasoning is awesome on prime rib..... Other than that a liberal coating of kosher salt and black pepper is also very tasty.

I agree - the seasoning will not penetrate, and the salt Will remove moisture.
Light the fires, then season the meat. 167 lbs at $9 a lb - you'd better get it RIGHT!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the seasoning is kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. Thanks for the replies.

Yes they were cooked in an oven. Not my place, just helping friends out at their place.

Things turned out great. The only problem I had was trying to keep my slice sharp to cut 10 roasts in to 9-10 oz portions. Any suggestion for the future?

Back