Your definition of a Pitmaster

BrotherInArms

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I had this talk with my boss the yesterday at work. What is the definition of a pitmaster?

I say it someone tends to the pit with the use of gadgets to control temp. A pitmaster cooks in the snow, rain, on days with 25mph winds, and on the hottest dogs days of summer. That is just my opinion.

So let's hear what you say. Gadgets or no gadgets? Let's hear how you define what a pitmaster is.

The guy that cooks the meat...... very simple. Some are indoors, some are outdoors. Doesn't have to be inclimate weather to be called a pitmaster. Just give me some good BBQ and I will call you the Pitmaster.

Typically if you cook good food on a bbq pit of any style and if it is good bbq then you are a pit master

Someone who is as much concerned about the pit as the meat. As for the gadgets, if they increase the performance and satisfaction of the experience, absolutely go for them. If you feel uncomfortable about them, then maybe they're just not right for you and your partner. I think communication is the number one factor in being a good pitmaster, especially when trying new things.

Someone who is as much concerned about the pit as the meat. As for the gadgets, if they increase the performance and satisfaction of the experience, absolutely go for them. If you feel uncomfortable about them, then maybe they're just not right for you and your partner. I think communication is the number one factor in being a good pitmaster, especially when trying new things.

A D L!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Google says the only ones are these guys :wink:

BBQ-Pitmasters-Season-5.jpg

Pitmaster????? Hard to believe all you had to do was click your boots three times!!

A cook, a cooker, a fire, and meat (veggies on Monday)

Last edited:
I personally dislike the word. I prefer John Mueller's take on it... “I’m not a pit boss. I’m not a pit master. I’m a cook, I cook for a living.” While I don't do it for a living, I just call what I do cooking. Sometimes that is in the kitchen, sometimes on a grill. Other times in an offset, a kamado or even a pellet pooper. I've cooked over open fire with or without a spit and even cooked directly on coals or on a chimney starter.

As for the gadgets question, I say use what makes you comfortable. Everything we cook with is a technological improvement of some sort vs. holding a piece of meat on a stick over a flame. I do however dislike the use of certain technology in BBQ competition. I would like to see competition be about process, technique and results and not just the final product, but that's just me. There still would need to be a line drawn and I don't claim to believe that mine would be the best.

Well if I was FORCED to put a definition to the label of pitmaster.....

I'd say that it's somebody that understands the principals of cooking and how to use different types of heat sources(pits) to get the job done. More to the point it's somebody that can cook on anything.

A pit master is the one that invites me to dinner and knows that I'll be pleased.

I think it's a guy who can cook delicious bbq on rusted out junk he found on craigslist.

One who has mastered the pit, from start to finish. Now, define the pit. In the old days, it was just that, a pit. For many of us it still is a pit. Gadgets have nothing to do with it either way.

I personally dislike the word. I prefer John Mueller's take on it... “I’m not a pit boss. I’m not a pit master. I’m a cook, I cook for a living.” While I don't do it for a living, I just call what I do cooking. Sometimes that is in the kitchen, sometimes on a grill. Other times in an offset, a kamado or even a pellet pooper. I've cooked over open fire with or without a spit and even cooked directly on coals or on a chimney starter.

As for the gadgets question, I say use what makes you comfortable. Everything we cook with is a technological improvement of some sort vs. holding a piece of meat on a stick over a flame. I do however dislike the use of certain technology in BBQ competition. I would like to see competition be about process, technique and results and not just the final product, but that's just me. There still would need to be a line drawn and I don't claim to believe that mine would be the best.

Yea, but cooks control their heat with a knob. Pitmasters have to manage a fire. So if you own a pellet pooper I guess your just a cook.

Yea, but cooks control their heat with a knob. Pitmasters have to manage a fire. So if you own a pellet pooper I guess your just a cook.

Not sure if you are trying to be funny... I own a pellet pooper, and it is a tool in the arsenal along with the rest of the stuff I listed. Managing a fire is a matter of debate all by itself. Different sizes and types of smoker along with quality of cooker all require different amounts of fire management skill. I'll just stick to not liking the term pitmaster. I'm OK with being a cook, one that can do that on just about anything that makes heat.

You guys did pretty good. It took until the bottom of page 1 before someone decided to bash how others cook...

:rolleyes:

You guys did pretty good. It took until the bottom of page 1 before someone decided to bash how others cook...

:rolleyes:

Hence the Oz reference: there's no place like home :laugh:

Gadgets, no gadgets, whatever, if you can turn out good Q consistently, you're a pitmaster.

Back