Detroit style pizza

Looks great. That pie would have went with one piece missing.

OMG, that looks just amazing! I've been wanting to try this pizza style of late. Do you have a good dough recipe you'd like to share?

Man that looks good! Love the looks of your crust. Delicious!!

OMG, that looks just amazing! I've been wanting to try this pizza style of late. Do you have a good dough recipe you'd like to share?

Here is the formula I used for the 8x10 pan.

I have a great PDF file with directions and pics. If anyone wants pm your email I can send it, since you can't post pdf's on here. A least I can't

Last edited:

Ok. I copied this from the pdf, minus the pics. The pdf is a nice tutorial. I use mozz/provolone mix not cheddar this time.
Dough recipe (makes one 10X14" pizza):
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri] Flour (100%): 273.04 g | 9.63 oz | 0.6 lbs [/FONT][/FONT]2 cups + 3 tablespoons [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Water (75%): 204.78 g | 7.22 oz | 0.45 lbs [/FONT][/FONT]¾ cup + 1 tablespoon + 2 ½ teaspoons [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]IDY (0.55%): 1.5 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp [/FONT][/FONT]½ teaspoon [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Salt (1.5%): 4.1 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp [/FONT][/FONT]¾ teaspoon [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Total (177.05%): 483.42 g | 17.05 oz | 1.07 lbs | TF = 0.1218 I used King Arthur All Purpose flour, and Fleischmann’s [/FONT][/FONT]Instant Dry Yeast (IDY)[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri], which is a bit different than those packets of "Active Dry Yeast." Both should work fine, but Active Dry Yeast requires that you mix the yeast with water and let it activate for a bit. Instant dry yeast does not require that step, but it also should not make direct contact with water. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri] Dissolve salt in water, add flour, sprinkle IDY on top. Mix on lowest speed (with dough hook) until incorporated then continue on this speed for an 8 min knead. Let the dough ball rest for 20 mins.
Put about ¾ tbsp of oil into your pan and brush it all over the bottom and sides of the pan. You can spread it around with a paper towel, but you might need a bit more oil, as the towel will soak some of it up. You want a thin layer of oil all over the pan.
Oil up your fingers and remove the dough ball from the mixing bowl. The dough should be pretty wet/soft/sticky, but should stretch easily. Stretch the dough all across the bottom of your oiled pan, reaching all the way into the corners. With oiled fingers, you shouldn’t have too much trouble with this. Cover the pan with plastic wrap or a towel, and let the dough rise for 2.5 – 3 hours (it will double in size, at least).
Dough, after rising:
Assembling the pizza:
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri] Preheat your oven to 475 degrees, with one rack placed on the lowest level in your oven.
Punch down (deflate) the dough and peel back a bit off the sides of the pan. Paint more oil/shortening along the edge of the pan, right along where the dough meets the pan. As the pizza cooks, the dough will rise more, and this extra layer of oil/shortening will help when removing the pizza from the pan after baking.
[/FONT]
[/FONT] Toppings:
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri] Toppings will go directly onto the dough BEFORE any cheese/sauce, to prevent too much burning or charring. Use whatever you like!
[/FONT]
[/FONT] Cheese:
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri] You will use two kinds of cheese for this pizza recipe: white cheddar and standard (low-moisture, part skim) mozzarella. The white cheddar should be piled up around the edges of the pizza, all the way to the edge, overflowing along the sides of the pan. This will provide the baked-cheese crunch on the crust that is representative of the Detroit style. I purchased a 2 lb. block of Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar cheese from Walmart. I grated the cheese myself and ended up using nearly half of the block on one 10X14" pizza. Pile up the white cheddar along the edges and spread
some over the rest of the pizza, but ONLY white cheddar should be used along the edges. Fill in the rest of the pizza with regular shredded mozzarella.
Sauce:
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri] The pizza sauce is really up to you. You could choose to use a store-bought pizza sauce and be fine. I bought a 28 oz can of crushed, Italian style tomatoes and added a bit of dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, and a pinch of sugar…all just to taste. One 14 oz can of tomatoes or sauce should be fine, as I only used about half of the large can…but it was the only size available in the brand that I wanted, so I went with it. Using a ladle or large spoon, apply the sauce in two large strips across the length of your pizza.

How much to add is up to you.
You can also add toppings on top of your pizza at this point, if you want more. I added some pepperoni on top, but only after letting the pizza bake for about 7-8 minutes, out of fear that they would burn (I pulled the pizza out and topped it very quickly). They ended up not cooking as much as I would have liked, so you are probably okay to put them on before putting the pizza into the oven the first time. Your call.
When your oven is preheated, bake the pizza on the BOTTOM rack of the oven for 15 minutes. When the cheese is starting to brown, it should be ready.
While the pizza bakes, you should see the hot oil bubbling around the edges of the pizza. This is a good sign and means that your crust will be DELICIOUS!

Use a knife or metal spatula to scrape around the edges and loosen the pizza from the pan. Slide a large spatula around and underneath the pizza to get it loose. I had to use TWO spatulas to transfer the pizza out of the pan and onto a cooling rack in one piece. You could probably just cut the pizza in half to make it easier. Removing the pizza from the pan and placing it on the rack to cool should help to maintain the crunch in the crust (so it’s not sitting in oil getting soggy). SLICE AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray!!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

That looks amazing. Had never heard of "Detroit style" pizza until I was in Austin TX last month. Would love to try it and this looks great.

That looks great! We are loving Jet's Pizza lately. They are just opening around our area. Now I know to tell my wife that it is Detroit style pizza.

That looks great! We are loving Jet's Pizza lately. They are just opening around our area. Now I know to tell my wife that it is Detroit style pizza.

I grew up up there, I never knew there was such a thing till about 3 maybe 4 years ago. I tell friends that still live there that a square is called Detroit Style in the rest of the country and they are like, really?

Back