Tri-Tip & Artichokes

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The price was right:

PICT2015_zpsp0prttps.jpg

Slathered the TT with Yucatan Sunshine, rubbed with Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria & Carne Crosta, hung and into the 14.5 with a full ring of used coals & some mesquite chunks.

PICT2022_zpsgi9bhapi.jpg

Pulled it at 118* and seared for 3 minutes per side.

PICT2029_zpsm99kqjew.jpg

PICT2034_zpsodwd3um3.jpg

Artichokes were on sale, too. While the TT was cooking, I boiled the artichokes for 20 minutes (minced garlic, pepper & salt in the water), cut them in half & added a little EVO, salt & pepper to the cut side. Grilled for 7 minutes while the TT was resting.

PICT2042_zpsqv2u8z9q.jpg

PICT2043_zpsj0zimcnm.jpg

And it was time to eat!

PICT2049_zps8q3sgkgg.jpg

PICT2052_zpsgd5vhchl.jpg

Mas Fino!!! Love the Oakridge BBQ rubs.

Looks great! Can you share your temp & time for the TT?!? I had never had TT or tried tackling one until I moved to CA last year. I've tried it 3 times now and haven't gotten results I am happy with!

Looks great! Can you share your temp & time for the TT?!? I had never had TT or tried tackling one until I moved to CA last year. I've tried it 3 times now and haven't gotten results I am happy with!

I don't cook it that way as such. I think the temp in the cooker is around 275* or so & time is around an hour. The meat is hung and a direct cook. I go by internal temp of the TT. It's usually 45* when I put it in the cooker & I pull it anywhere from 117* to 121* and then its seared 2 - 3 minutes per side over very hot coals. Let it rest loosely tented for 15 - 30 minutes.

That's a pretty looking Tri-Tip. I would have thought that the pointed end would have been over done hanging closer to the flame.

In our house, TT's are great as the wife likes her meat closer to medium, so she gets the tip pieces. I like it more Rare to Medium Rare, so I eat the rest of it. Great the next day or two, sliced thin as a sandwich...

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. Very much appreciated.
If you haven't grilled artichokes, you should give it a try - they are super!

Back