are we using rubs the wrong way for pulled pork??

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
recently i have switched from usung rubs pre-cook to using rubs post cook with much better results as far as the pure flavor potentiol of the rub goes. i have found that a simple salt and pepper rub does just as good as any other rub as far as bark formation goes. after the cook is complete and the meat is shreaded i stir the rub of choice into some oil and vinegar and add it back to the meat for a bigger flavor kick than pre-rubbing with the same stuff. what are your thoughts?

recently i have switched from usung rubs pre-cook to using rubs post cook with much better results as far as the pure flavor potentiol of the rub goes. i have found that a simple salt and pepper rub does just as good as any other rub as far as bark formation goes. after the cook is complete and the meat is shreaded i stir the rub of choice into some oil and vinegar and add it back to the meat for a bigger flavor kick than pre-rubbing with the same stuff. what are your thoughts?

Phil,
thanks!
I was thinking in my mind that every rub I use tastes almost the same when transformed in deep brown / meteor black bark.
I started in the last cooks to sprinkle some rub over the cooked meat and I liked it.
Never tought to use EVO + vinegard to melt dry rub in the meat, but please share with us more details about this process.

I might be a new member on this board (and new to smoking on anything but a kettle) but growing up with some awesome pulled pork in NC i'm no stranger to chopped/pulled pig.

I would watch them prep the whole hog, but shoulders weren't uncommon or much different. Salt/pepper hours before... ACV mist/mop and sauce only after pulling.

I do it the same way with all my proteins. Simple seasoning before enhance flavors post cook (unless i'm doing ribs or wings).

I always reserve some of my rub and add it to the meat as it is pulled.
My rub has a unique flavor profile and it is really pronounced when adding some to the pulled meat.

I like the idea of using a sugar-free rub in the beginning to prevent the burnt sugar taste that can sometimes be present, and then adding vinegar-based sauce and a bit of BBQ rub to finished product. Like the addition of oil - will have to try that.

I rub before, and then add more after the meat is pulled. It's a big chunk of meat and a little rub on the outside isn't going to be enough to flavor all that meat.

I usually add some rub into the meat after its pulled

I agree. I do it before and after. Pork butts have a bland taste to me which is good because they work with so many different rubs.

I'm a S&P guy why because it stands up after many hrs in the pit. All them 49 ingredient won the MIM & the AR stuff on the market don't. To me they all taste the same in the end. BBQ is Smoke & Meat rubs are fairly new to the game in the full scope of things. Adding that fancy season salt at the end is a good idea at least you can taste it.

This seems so obvious, yet I've never done anything except rub initially and then shred the pork once it's done. I've never added any additional sauce or rub to the finished product.

Maybe I'll switch it up and test it out. S&P to cook, then mix in rub once pulled for flavor. Seems like the flavor of the rub will stand out more, and maybe even use less of it since you're not trying to coat the whole rock.

Good thread man

I always apply rub before cooking. I will say I get better flavor and bark formation if I let the meat sit after applying it so it gets a wet look to it.

I would be afraid to apply my rub post cook. It is very spicey and hot. It's good in low doses but it is very potent. Maybe some comp rubs might be good that way. My home made dry rub not so much.

I could see a sweet rub being better if applied post cook.

I cooked a butt yesterday with just SPOG, basically because I wanted to use it up to free up the shaker bottle. I really didn't miss the other spices. They basically just stay in the bark, anyways.

Who was that guy a few years back here who tested individual seasonings on various pieces of meat? He concluded that salt, and pepper held up best. The other seasonings were practically nonexistent after several hours of cooking. Adding the pork butt drippings back to the pulled pork is one of the tastier things I could do, and still retain the pork flavor.

When you guys add rub to your finished pulled pork, do you grind it down first so it will dissolve into the meat easier?

For butts I do hit with rub, but not as much as I used to. At the end I mix the pulled with more rub, sometime a hit of chipotle and also some of the leftover juices from the pan/foil. Makes it magical.

This got me to thinking. When we used to do whole hogs we used a lot of salt to start, then some more after we flipped it on it's back. When the meat was done we would mix the different meats with the drippings and add a vinegar based sauce. Sometimes we added more salt. I have had a lot of pork butts but none were better flavor wise than that.

Back