Discussion Thread -> SPECIAL** "Noobians vs. Vets: Season 4!"** Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new August Special TD category is...

"Noobs vs. Vets: Season 4!
"

LargepirateflaganimatedGIF_zps4be4e303.gif

Arrgh, matey! The SS Farkanaut sets sail to once again decimate the Noobian Fleet!

Here is last year's entry thread

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

1. This is an OPEN CATEGORY, meaning you can cook anything you like as long as it conforms to Standard Throwdown Rules. Anyone who has participated in 4 or fewer TD's prior to 7/31/2015 will be on the Noobian team, while everyone with 5 or more TD's prior to 7/31/2015 will be on the Veteran team!

2. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED for this TD only!

3. You can submit entries from other throwdowns that run during the course of this one!

4. Voting will be decided thusly:

All Noobians and currently enlisted and veteran Farkanauts who choose to participate will each submit entries of their choosing. The winning group will be decided by a tally of most votes, i.e. if the Noobians have the most collective votes, the Noobians win.

Please specify at the top of each entry whether it is for the Noobian or Veteran Team. If you do not, your entry will not be counted.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/31 through Monday 8/31/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 8/31/15.

Click here to
READ THE RULES
for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
I have participated in 5 TDs however 2 are not completed-Steak and Brethren Inspired. Am I a Noob or a Vet in this

I'd say you are a vet George. Both of those will be complete before the submission deadline.

This be an entry for the Vets into the “Noobians vs. Vets: Season 4!” Throwdown. Arrrgh!

So a few years ago (2013) Oldyote made something he dubbed an “Atomic Raspberry” for the “Berry Me” Throwdown. (Link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164088)

I was intrigued by it and have always wanted to try making them.

Today I tried to recreate them. Here are most of my ingredients.

I drizzled hot sauce into the bowl. I then put 5 of the 1 oz. packages of cream cheese, 2 tbsp. of pepper jelly, 2 tsp. of raspberry jam and approximately 18 raspberries in the bowl.

and gave it a thorough mixing.

I put this in the fridge to rest a while. Now I cleaned out 6 large jalapeños of all the seeds.

I put the filling into a zip-loc bag and cut the tip off to fill my jalapeños. After filling the jalapeños I place some raspberries in also.

Now I wrap them with some of my homemade bacon. (Toothpicks as required) I put these in the fridge and went out and got my kamado going. Direct / in-direct with the upper racks in. I let it get up to 325 degrees and then put the jalapeños on the direct side for 10 minutes. I then moved them over to the in-direct side for 25 minutes.

While this was cooking I made up some raspberry BBQ sauce. At the 20 minute marks I basted them with the raspberry BBQ sauce.

And here it is plated.

And the Money Shot below.

Oh Yeah! Appetizer and desert in one. :becky:

The entire cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3318862#post3318862

(Edit: i guess i have to qualify this as a entry for the vets, but do so under protest)

Torpedo from a zero class sub. FIRE!

***Moderator's Note***

Ninja,

Since you seem to feel your entry is under "protest", then why even enter this TD at all? :confused:

Please clarify...

***Moderator's Note***

Ninja,

Since you seem to feel your entry is under "protest", then why even enter this TD at all? :confused:

Please clarify...

Because as a ninja i am the sworn enemy of all pirates. At first i was gonna join G on the zero sub and take pots shots at both fleets but i reconsidered. I decided to join the fleet but im still gonna wear my mask...................that or this could all be a very poorly executed attempt at a joke.

Figuring the Noobs would be out numbered, and that this would be a fierce battle, I rallied the locals for help, and my 16 y.o. daughter, Taylor was more than willing to help keep the Landloobers at bay. She decided we should start with a rack is St. Louis spares and prepare them with her competition recipe that's sure to start a mutiny aboard any ship!

Seasoned em up.

Then onto the smoker.

A little over an hour and time to wrap.

The surprise dagger would be Elotes, her favorite!

And the finished product.

Please except this as our humble entry in the Vets vs Noobs Throwdown. It was FANTASTIC!

Last edited by a moderator:
Noob Entry

Ok Noobs!, we're right where we want to be with these Picaroons! There's no time for a Parley now!

Borrowing a quote from Lt. General Lewis "Chesty" B. Puller

It's time for the next attack and make shark bait out of these "Old Salts"!

Here's one that's sure to send 'em to Davy Jones's Locker!

PrincessofQ and I started with mesquite grilled chicken breast.

Heated the oil and fried the shells.

Added the toppings.

Beans, chicken, cheese, and grilled jalapeños

And back to the grill.

And the finished product. Entry Photo Below:

Please accept this as our humble entry #2 in the Vets vs Noobs Throwdown.

Again, it was awesome! Sure to make a pirate sing from the Crows Nest!

Last edited by a moderator:
****Moderator's Note****

Folks, when you enter this TD PLEASE indicate which team you are on or your entry won't be counted.

Thanks!

Back