BBQ and wine - recommendations

• (edit: Bogle, not Cline) Bogle Essential Red or, my slight preference, Bogle Cabernet. $7-8/bottle where I shop.
  • Marietta Old Vine Red, a couple of bucks more.
These are solid citizens that can be relied on.

Recommendations that give only a type (Argentinian, Merlot, Zin, etc.) be sure to try a bottle before committing. There is a lot of dreck out there made with those grapes as well as some really excellent wine. Also, a Chilean Merlot will taste a lot different than a French one or one from California. Same story on cabs and malbecs.

Edit: Someone mentioned Tempranillo. That's one of my personal favorites, almost always from Spain or Portugal. But there are many choices, so again you should try one or two before you commit. One that's in the solid citizen class with the two previously mentioned is Montecillo Rioja Crianza.

Last edited:
  • (edit: Bogle, not Cline) Bogle Essential Red or, my slight preference, Bogle Cabernet. $7-8/bottle where I shop.
  • Marietta Old Vine Red, a couple of bucks more.

Bogle is a great rec. The Essential Red is a blend, reasonably consistent year to year, easy to find and at a great price. We drink several cases a year of this at my house. The Bogle varietals can be great value priced quaffs as well but with a bit more year to year variation. I'm partial to the Petite Sirah. But this is a standout red producer in the price range.

Back