Discussion Thread -> "Independence Day!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Independence Day!"

4th-of-July-BBQ-large.jpg

As chosen by Ron_L for winning the "Potato" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Ron_L said:
Now... For the next category...

Since it's so freaking cold in a lot of the country I was thinking about summer, and what says summer best? A Fourth of July Cook Out! Cook something that you would typically serve at an Independence Day celebration. Anything goes as long as standard TD rules are followed.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/27 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 3/9/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 3/9.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
In Progress: Discussion Thread -> "Independence Day" Throwdown (Non-Quality, Possibly Delinquent Discussion *BE WARNED*)

Ooooh I didn't see the delinquent thread so we must be back to normal..........:dancer: One thread to show off my Firecracker wiener................:thumb:

somebody needs to get this one started. might as well be me...

couple o' chooks on the spit. rubbed with some rib tickler rub, and injected with some melted coconut oil and more of the rub. put a CI skillet with some carrots, onions, and spuds underneath
7A8A029A-90E3-4B5A-9CD2-72F251B0597F_zpsgr7qvdzg.jpg

let it go until it looked a bit like this:
795AB8DD-9E78-484C-952F-76EEFAB3E5C4_zps3evc9m0w.jpg

polling pic, please ^^^

I even used the summery platter
1B3962FD-2605-43A3-A669-548FE937A30F_zps99ycvghu.jpg

9198059C-BC32-4515-8AC6-745CD51DF3C2_zpso3utqcua.jpg

veg done
29F55C79-09A4-4E95-B524-CF43BBA32D92_zpszue13men.jpg

all cut up
8D437C8F-74D2-4C89-AA72-D57E4D5660F0_zpsytaxofs0.jpg

used the drippings to make some gravy, and plated myself up some
ED52550E-99DD-427A-BECC-DF6C552F352B_zpsfwfxu7z3.jpg

there you go. a couple of chickens with gravy. It's gotta be a winner...there's a precedent. I even used the word "chook" :crazy:

That is one chooky chook, cluckin good lookin, too me! :mrgreen:

Independence Day Doggies

Please accept this as my official entry into the independence day TD.

Nothing speaks louder to me than a good old fashion chili cheese dog for a 4th of July cook-out.

I cranked up the trusty OTG with a wee bit of lump.

While that was getting all warmed up I went inside and cross cut a potato for homemade chips.

Washed and rinsed them good.

And went back out to the grill and threw on a couple of doggies

Rolled them around untill they were nice and browned

Pulled them off and tucked them into a nice warm bun

Piled on some brisket chili and cheese and plated with my chips and yellow corn!

My polling pic if you please.

Happy 3rd of March to you all!

Great lookin' hot dogs, there, Jed! :thumb:

Last edited:
Add some chopped onions onto that and I'd be all over it! Now I want a chili cheese dog :tsk:

you and me both, Ron...a good hot dog is on the list of things I don't get anymore since I moved up here.

well don, Jed!

you and me both, Ron...a good hot dog is on the list of things I don't get anymore since I moved up here.

well don, Jed!
It's the simple things I enjoy the most. It's funny that I really couldn't get a good dog in Florida but they have awesome ones here. Choucroute garnie or dressed sauerkraut , is really popular here and the Alsatian influence is dominate

Sonnab!
That's what I was gonna do for this TD.
Looks great. I guess I'll have to do better.:mrgreen:

Official throwdown entry post

Ah 4th of July, the pinnacle of summer. What could be more summer than a picnic...... A pork picnic.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206250

All I'm missing is the potato salad.

We'll use the plated pic for polling.

Complete with the fine paper china....... China wait that's not patriotic. :doh:

Last edited:
Paella

I had a wild hare today to try my hand at Paella for the first time. It turned out really well, and so opted to submit it for a throw-down. I had to utilize some unconventional pans to make this work, but now that I know that I'll be cooking this again with frequency, committed to ordering a proper 18" paella pan this evening.

This dish can serve very large crowds, so it does fit with a backyard BBQ setting for independence day. What better way to commemorate the support that Spain offered the 13 colonies in their war of independence?

I went with a pretty typical recipe I found online and then added some twists of my own.

1 lb of chicken tenderloins (covered in LaDalia sweet smoked paprika for 4 hrs in advance)
1 lb of peeled gulf shrimp (covered in LaDalia bittersweet paprika for 4 hrs in advance)
1 lb of Galveston bay mussels
1 lb of JimmyDean Natural sausage

1 red and 1 orange bell pepper
1 purple onion
1 large can organic crushed tomatos
a mess of garlic cloves
a fist of parsley
salt and 1 pinch of saffron
3 cups of white rice
4 cups of cage-free organic chicken stock

I stoked the grill with oak lump and allowed the sausage to cook slowly to take on some smoke. I then set it aside and seared the chicken on the grate. The onions and peppers went into the pan next. Once caramelized, I added in the crushed tomato and spices.

At this point, I realized the 13" sauté pan I was working with was not going to begin to cut it in terms of containing everything. After rummaging through the cabinets, I came up with a turkey roaster pan. This worked pretty good.

IMG_0479.jpg

After making the transfer, I loaded in the rice and the chicken stock. I then distributed the grilled meats on the top of the pan as well as the shrimp and mussels (hinge side down). It cooked about another 10 to 15 minutes and all the shellfish had opened. I covered it with foil and let it steam another 5 minutes and then called the family to dinner. With all the prep, this did take a couple of hours, but it was worth it.

IMG_0480.jpg

Please use this close-up photo for the throw-down entry.

I served with Sangria. The socarrat was nicely toasted but not burned. I was worried I didn't get the liquid ratios right with the rice as there was still some liquid on the top when I took it off the grill, but this was quickly absorbed into the paella once it cooled a bit.

Back