• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

20 pound butt big enough??

Biloxidman

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Having a little bridal party Thursday evening and expecting 60 or so. Gonna do pulled pork sliders, baked beans, Mac n cheese, wings, tater salad, Cole slaw, mini meatballs and various other fixin's. Since we are using slider buns I figure two 10 pound butts should be sufficient. Gonna start them at 6:30 am, party starts at 6:30 pm. Last couple of 10 lb butts I did probed tender at 6 hours running at 300 on Big Joe. Figure 2 10 ponders should go around the same time, plus or minus an hour, then wrap in towels and in the cooler to rest and get juicy.

Am I on track or severely underestimating? Also got several cases of adult beverages and plenty of wine.

With all those sides your golden. If you're worried about it throw on some sausages or chicken parts.

On edit. One more butt wouldn't hurt....its late for math

Having a little bridal party Thursday evening and expecting 60 or so. Gonna do pulled pork sliders, baked beans, Mac n cheese, wings, tater salad, Cole slaw, mini meatballs and various other fixin's. Since we are using slider buns I figure two 10 pound butts should be sufficient. Gonna start them at 6:30 am, party starts at 6:30 pm. Last couple of 10 lb butts I did probed tender at 6 hours running at 300 on Big Joe. Figure 2 10 ponders should go around the same time, plus or minus an hour, then wrap in towels and in the cooler to rest and get juicy.

Am I on track or severely underestimating? Also got several cases of adult beverages and plenty of wine.

If you allocate 1/8 pound of cooked pork per person (which I would take as two sliders), then you can feed 8 people per pound of cooked pork. I would estimate that the 20 pounds of pork will cook down to 12 - 14 pounds of cooked meat, so I think you are good to go. It is a common practice to cook butts until they reach 195. Since you are cooking at 300, you timing should be about right.

You have lots of goodies to serve along with the pork sliders, so I would say you are right on track.

However, if you go by my family, you may need more booze.

I think you'll be alright, in my experience people don't eat as much at showers. More of a snack as you do other things and socialize. If you were wanting a full on meal for everyone that might be a little light though.

I would say with all the other stuff you have going on you would be all set. That said, I would probably put one more on just for insurance. But I'm always paranoid that I will be short on the food.

Just did something similar... I went with 3 butts and there was plenty. Especially if there are plenty of sides. Should be all good!

If you allocate 1/8 pound of cooked pork per person (which I would take as two sliders), then you can feed 8 people per pound of cooked pork. I would estimate that the 20 pounds of pork will cook down to 12 - 14 pounds of cooked meat, so I think you are good to go. It is a common practice to cook butts until they reach 195. Since you are cooking at 300, you timing should be about right.

You have lots of goodies to serve along with the pork sliders, so I would say you are right on track.

However, if you go by my family, you may need more booze.

That's what I was figuring. I've got about 5 dozen wings and sausage too. On the liquid refreshment side, I'm covered. If the outside cases run dry, I've got my inside backup! :wink:

ADED2FF7-A358-4F08-9439-527F49704E4D_zpsvrhmzuhg.jpg

You don't need more food, just more beer. :mrgreen:

That pork will cook down to about 10-13 pounds of useful product, depending on bone-in, how well trimmed it is, etc. This gives you about 1/5 to 1/6 pound per person. I tend to find that the better the food tastes, the more people eat. Most caterers here figure 1/3 to 1/4 pound per person (about twice what you're cooking). I typically figure closer to 1 pound per person when I'm cooking for guests -- and yes, I have had a dinner party where the guests polished of 1.5 pounds per person, and half the party was young kids. Of course this depends on how much other food you have out there, but if they don't polish off what you're setting out for them and looking for more, I would seriously consider getting some cooking lessons.

The key words are "bridal party" with all of those sides you are good to go

Rinsed the butts this evening. Plan on rubbing in the morning while Big Joe comes up to temp. Loaded the lump this evening and had some Vision lump for the first time. WOW! Huge chunks. Got the rest of the RO mixed in with 4-5 chunks of hickory and mesquite buried in various places. Pics in the a.m.!

60 of my folks and you would have to double your beer count! Lets see some pron of that big butt.

Lit Joe this morning at 6:20 and rubbed my butts while it got up to temp.

Hit with some more rub before going on the grill at 7:10. Joe settled at 304 so that's where we're riding at.

Back