• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

80 gallon offset build

mnbadger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I started a thread a couple of months ago for my build but for some reason I can't post onto it anymore... SO I thought I would just start a new one. I made a bunch of progress this weekend on the build and hope to have it done in the next two months. I'll post the pictures in the order that I worked on them over the last 4 months or so. Enjoy the pictures!

Here is the tank before I did any work on it

IMG_0835_zpsow7z3woc.jpg

And with the top cut off before I ground off all the paint and rust. Notice the nice green grass in the background... Most of our snow is gone with the hot weather lately. About 3 weeks ago there was a 4 foot pile of snow at the end of the driveway.

IMG_0871_zpsgvn4z0ry.jpg

The guy who owns the steel yard by my inlaws was nice enough to sheer and bend all of the steel for the firebox for us for free. Once he learned I was building an offset he just asked what dimensions I wanted for the box and went to work. It save us a ton of time.

06E9A83D-D528-40DB-9653-3020C331BEB2_zpslp0zklrm.jpg

We did a dry fit. Tacked the interior box. Then tacked that to the side that meets up with the cook chamber before welding everything up.

Me welding away on the firebox

541CCFC6-826B-4140-B29C-CBC77F107D72_zpsuzrplex0.jpg

This is where we got to last night

F81CBBB0-9CA1-4AF1-8E55-3601E77E0B6A_zps3x4tnitf.jpg

I'm hoping to bang out the rest of the firebox tomorrow after work. After that the rest should be pretty easy. Based on the price we could get for partial sheets of steel cut we went with 3/16" on the inside and then 12 or 14 gauge on the outside top/bottom/sides. There will be 2" of high temp mineral wool insulation between the layers from Mcmaster Carr.

As a guy who is accustomed to working with wood, steel is really damn heavy. The firebox already has to be over 100 pounds before we finish putting the outside on it.

:eusa_clap
Brother, I wish I had your skills. Nice work to boot! Ill be keeping an eye on your build.

:eusa_clap
Brother, I wish I had your skills. Nice work to boot! Ill be keeping an eye on your build.

Thanks! The not good looking welds are mine... haha. We are using a hobart 140 with just straight flux core. It has been working really well so far. I might keep looking for a flux cor only hobart 125 or something on ebay to see if I can get a good deal on one for myself.

I got to work on the smoker again for a while today. Probably won't get back to it until next weekend at the earliest. Here is the firebox with one side on fitting in the insulation.

4C420A02-9C93-4C02-8D6A-23FDC10EF194_zpsuz0c9gdd.jpg

And this is one with all of the insulation in and the start of sealing it all in.

061127CA-AA3C-4D40-A298-621999BD5569_zps7fi29x8m.jpg

I should be able to get the firebox done the next time I work on it. Then on to mounting the tank on the firebox!

I forgot to add this last night, but when I make a bigger smoker I'm going to keep the outside steel the same thickness as the inside on the firebox. The thinner gauge steel was easier to force into position, but it was a pain to weld.

I'll be working on the smoker again today for hopefully 6 hours or so. I'm hoping to finish the firebox today, get the stand built for the cooker and weld the firebox/cook chamber to the stand.

So hopefully after today it will start looking like a smoker! Pictures to follow tonight :biggrin1:

Didn't get as much done today as I wanted to. My step-father in law's plasma cutter crapped out on us so we had to burn a ton of grinding wheels cutting the wheels off the tank and cutting pieces out of 3/16 plate to get the front of the firebox finished. 1/2 of the cart is done (no pictures of it), the wheels are off the tank, and the firebox is done except for the door and cutting the hole for the firebox/cook chamber. I'm hoping to work on it this weekend or next and try to finish off the cart and get the smoker mounted on it! Here is a progress pic.

24AEF1D1-E318-47B4-8E78-7C5FA3E17FE4_zpsi7vfnbns.jpg

Got a ton of stuff done today and it is finally starting to look like a smoker!

Cutting the hole in the firebox.
87863D68-DC49-4FE5-8ECD-68BFF2FF7C7E_zpstxauiuex.jpg

We had the hardest time getting the cut straight for the firebox to cookchamber. My step-father in-law remembered he had a laser level... That thing is awesome!

5F7AAEC3-63C9-439A-8257-3DFB82D586E0_zpsn6zrtx9r.jpg

A5E22AB6-8765-4432-AFFC-01330F5608C4_zpsm3bndshb.jpg

Back