Sam's Club 2014

Full Draw BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know sign up is usually mid January, but does anyone know when the national schedule/map will be released showing where the contests will be? Thanks!

Mike

I thought signup was in February probably should start hearing about in the next few weeks. I also look forward to this series and wish there were more like it.

At Sam's Club Finals in 2012, they said "Next year will be bigger and better than ever!" (It was about the same, maybe a few cost reductions here and there in terms of trophies/gifts.)

THIS year at the finals they said "We hope we will do it again!"

So it's not a given it will come back. I was told by people (that would know) that it was "still being discussed" with Sam's Club as recently as two weeks ago.

I would certainly sign up if they do it again.

At Sam's Club Finals in 2012, they said "Next year will be bigger and better than ever!" (It was about the same, maybe a few cost reductions here and there in terms of trophies/gifts.)

THIS year at the finals they said "We hope we will do it again!"

So it's not a given it will come back. I was told by people (that would know) that it was "still being discussed" with Sam's Club as recently as two weeks ago.

I would certainly sign up if they do it again.
Truthfully I wouldn't be surprised if they ended it. It felt like the Sam's people were just going through the motions this past year.

I guess I can understand their point. They seem to be putting a lot of money into BBQ and I am sure they are assessing their return on that. I am guessing if they just hired a couple of teams to cook bbq in their parking lots each weekend they would see the same bump in sales during those weekends that they see during a contest.

Sales volume has a well noted increase at each store the weekend of the contest. It's a win for Sam's Club for sure.

Sam's

I agree with everyone that the Sam's BBQ Series has been good. However, it has not gone without its share of problems. My biggest complaint with it was the way they placed the contests. I know contests were placed across the country by the net sales in the local stores. This sometimes put Sam's contests in direct competition with other more established local BBQ events. This made life very difficult for those promoters who through no fault of their own, had to deal with a nearby Sam's event taking all the oxygen out of their contest. I wish Sam's would go to a more hybrid format where local events in a region were placed at existing contests, thus adding prize money at those events. The regional finals and national finals could be held at Sam's club sites. I also think the regional finalists and national finalists should NOT pay a registration fee. Traveling a long distance to compete costs enough without having to pay a registration fee on top of that. I think every cook from first to last place in the Sam's national finals should get paid something. With costs going up, cooks need something to make it worth while.

If you place at the locals, you win at least enough to pay for the entry into the regionals. 10th pays $250 overall

I hope they have it again in 2014. I had a lot of fun with it!

Even though we didn't make it out of the local qualifier, I'd definitely do it again. I hope they don't cancel.

Last year registration for the 2013 Sam's Club National BBQ Tour began on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7 PM CDT.

I think they should keep it going as well. It's nice to have a bbq series to compete in. But if they don't maybe another retailer will step up, costco could make it happen.

I don't think Costco, (being headquartered in Seattle) has very much awareness of BBQ. Unlike Sams Club/Walmart which does seem to understand what BBQers need and use.

As others have said, I didn't get that 'feel good' vibe from the finals this year. Which would be a shame if this didn't continue....

Sure, they did the corporate dog and pony but it just didn't feel like negotiations were going well at the time with the corner office folks for a renewal, hoping for news soon.....

I also hope they continue with the comps. For us, this is the only contest that we actually won money at so far! :clap2:

It was also nice having a Sams club as well as other stores really close by.

wallace

Back