Race Day Short ribs, Potato salad &Caramel Cake (pron)

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well fired up the UDS for some beef short ribs. i vacu sucked them yesterday morning with Stubbs Beef Marinade. Cut em open this morning and tossed em in the UDS. Made up some tater salad, and was watching Paula Deen on HD FoodTv and she made a caramel 3 layer cake. so we decided to make one for deserts. Everything turned out great. Potatoes were a little under cooked (should have paid more attention) but they were still tasty. just a little al dente. any way here is some pron for your viewing pleasure. Ribs took about 8 hours at approx 240*
100_1674.jpg

100_1676.jpg

100_1677.jpg

100_1682.jpg

100_1684.jpg

100_1685-1.jpg

Cake
100_1681.jpg

100_1686.jpg

Holy crap that looks good!! Nice job on the ribs and the cake.

That looks great. Dang I am off to the butcher tomorrow.

Looks good enough to eat seconds. Where did you get the ribs again?

United Market street. i asked the butcher if they had any that weren't sliced into strips. he pulled em out of the freezer for me.

Haven't done beef ribs as of yet, but if they turn out as good as those look, guess I'll be adding it to the list of things to smoke!!

Ribs look great! Can you share a recipe for the cake? You make your own caramel?

Cake Recipe

Ribs look great! Can you share a recipe for the cake? You make your own caramel?

You can get the recipe off of foodtv.com. its was on paula deen this morning. the recipe was actually right on the homepage. under the top 10 recipes. or just search caramel cake. it was pretty easy. yea every thing was home made

For the cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract For the filling:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream, or more if needed
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans. Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add granulated sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4-inches above counter dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
For the filling:
While cake is baking, in a saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Remove cake layers from oven and allow cake to remain in pans as you prepare to stack and fill. Remove first layer and invert onto cake plate. Pierce cake layer with a toothpick over entire surface. Spread 1/3 of filling mixture on cake layer. Top with second layer, repeat process. Top with last layer and repeat process again.
*Cook's Note: As I stack layers together, I stick them with toothpicks to prevent cake from shifting.
For the frosting:
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat with a handheld electric mixer until it reaches a spreading consistency. At this time it may be necessary to add a tablespoon of heavy cream, or more, if frosting gets too thick. Just be sure to add cream is small amounts because you can always "add to", but you can't take away. Frost cake and sprinkle top with chopped nuts, if desired.

Last edited:
Haven't done beef ribs as of yet, but if they turn out as good as those look, guess I'll be adding it to the list of things to smoke!!

These turned out awesome. i could only eat 1 as there was a huge amount of meat off em. i just cooked em boneside down a few hours. turned em over let go another 90 min or so then flipped em again for another 2 hours. bout 7.5- 8 hours total. i did wrap when they hit 175* only because we were hungry and i wanted to speed em up.

Wanted to try beef short ribs this weekend and searched and came up with this thread. Brethren question - how can you tell if these are done? I was thinking of wrapping for an hour or so but didn't know what the benchmark test was and the doneness test. Thanks for any help. OBTW, these will be done on the UDS.

What temp did you bring the ribs to at final? Were they FOTB tender or have a little "bite"?

It all looks great. I'm going to have to try the dino bones.

Back