Help me pick a new cooker

FattyMac

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
In the market for a new cooker or two after a recent bout of insanity that saw my stock dwindle to just 4 cookers.

The main criteria are it needs to be easy to use and fairly mobile as it will mainly be used by the missus who has taken an interest (Finally!) in cooking during her maternity leave and for contests. Being able to grill is a welcome feature too.

Thoughts?

Current contenders are a yoder 640 or a cookshack PG1000 with the possible addition of a Karubacue C-60 because it just looks like fun but will likely stretch the cooker budget too far.

Check out the Rec Tec RT-680 for a full size and the Rec Tec Mini for a smaller version. I have both and started competing last year with the 680. Both awesome units with fantastic customer service.

I think both the YS640 and PG1000 are awesome Pellet Grills so no wrong answer.

I'd probably lean towards the YS640 with the Comp Cart, get the 2 piece heat diffuser and the grill grates for direct grilling. It has more overall room to cook on be it direct or indirect than the PG 1000. (of course I don't have an FEC 100/500 either)

A couple advantages the PG 1000 has is it's insulated (but you already have the FEC 100/500) and it has a permanent dedicated grilling area, so no messing with the grates and diffusers.

I know I'm not much help, I like them both a lot :doh:

Last edited:
Firecraft has a pellet grill that looks a lot like the Mak but for about $800.00

I think both the YS640 and PG1000 are awesome Pellet Grills so no wrong answer.

I'd probably lean towards the YS640 with the Comp Cart, get the 2 piece heat diffuser and the grill grates for direct grilling. It has more overall room to cook on be it direct or indirect than the PG 1000. (of course I don't have an FEC 100/500 either)

A couple advantages the PG 1000 has is it insulated (but you already have the FEC 100/500) and it has a permanent dedicated grilling area, so no messing with the grates and diffusers.

I know I'm not much help, I like them both a lot :doh:
I agree with this! I might lean more towards the YS640 because it is a little thicker material, and also for the simple fact that I had the same dilemma and ended up with a Yoder YS1500.

YS640 for a Pellet is the cats meow. If you were closer I would make you a deal on mine on a comp cart! I moved to stick and cabinet and havent used my pellet in quite a while.

Back