On the Lang Waiting List

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After arguing with myself for about a week I finally called Lang and now I'm on about a 4 week waiting list for their 60" original model without the warmer box.
I'll admit that I really liked and wanted the Shirley but a year is way too long for this old man to wait. As the saying goes, folks my age don't even buy green bananas.
So, for the experienced Lang owners out there, what upgrades if any should I consider?

After arguing with myself for about a week I finally called Lang and now I'm on about a 4 week waiting list for their 60" original model without the warmer box.
I'll admit that I really liked and wanted the Shirley but a year is way too long for this old man to wait. As the saying goes, folks my age don't even buy green bananas.
So, for the experienced Lang owners out there, what upgrades if any should I consider?

My cousin lives in Middleburg!

If it were me and cost wasn't an issue, I'd go with the 60D.

Plan to do the normal seasoning recommended by Ben and then load it up with some butts, ribs, and chicken (greasy stuff) to add to the first seasoning.
I have a bunch of white oak, cherry, and a little pecan that's seasoned and ready to cook with. I just split about a face cord of Blackjack Oak that s/b ready in a few months.
I'll save the brisket for awhile after it's broke in better.

My cousin lives in Middleburg!

If it were me and cost wasn't an issue, I'd go with the 60D.

We settled in Middleburg after I retired from 30 years of Navy. It used to be a nice, quiet, out of the way place but it's fast being swallowed up by the developers. Can't afford to move so we'll just hunker down till the end.
I thought about the delux but don't know if I'll really get the use out of it to justify the cost. I also have an XL BGE and a Weber for sides if I want.

Congrats on the new cooker. Got my Shirley over 2 years ago. Not much of a wait back then. I am sure you are going to love your Lang. Again, congrats.

You'll love the Lang, I recommend you take the cooking class they have, it was very informative and fun. Ben Lang spent a lot of time with us explaining techniques for cooking.

Nothing wrong with a Lang, congrats on the new Pit.

I second getting the 60D if you can afford it.
I use my warmer all the time.No tying the house oven up.

Congrats! You can't be that old if you are still splitting wood.:mrgreen:

Gotta love a Lang. The only regret is not buying one big enough.
(See my signature....)

See if Ben will furnish a Stainless Steel shelf instead of the standard. I had one made locally after I got tired of messing with cutting boards and aluminum foil to work on. Think twice about not having the warmer box....A 48 is great for family cook outs of 40 or less. Plenty of room for butts ribs chicken and sides so I guess a 60 would be even better!
Ben builds a good cooker; you made a good decision.

Get the deluxe with the flue opening between fire box and warmer with the cut off.They are great cookers and easy to learn to use.

Congratulations! I think you will love it. I used to cook on a friends old 60 before MSU football games.

Congrats! You can't be that old if you are still splitting wood.:mrgreen:

Chain saws and Hydraulic splitters are a wonderful thing.
Last time I bought what was listed as a cord of wood the guy got highly upset because I only offered him half his price after he had unloaded it. He said the 2x4x8 stack he sold was a cord. He refused to believe a real cord was 4x4x8 and his was only a face cord. I even offered to show him a dictionary. It almost got real ugly after that when I wouldn't let him leave with the money and wood. He finally threw the money down and reloaded the load.
I bought the 22 ton splitter after that.

Back