Butts on the 270 Sumo and Ribs on the PBC w pRoN

Evil-g

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Seems like all I do is s post pics of Butts and Ribs so here are some more I cooked for a neighbors party.

The 270 coming upto temp and ready to go.

Pork Butts in and ready to wrap

Finished Product

Getting the PBC ready for the ribs.

3 baby and 3 SLCs

And done

Looks like you nailed it.

g do use a water pan when you cook in the 270?

Nice looking grub.

Hoping to get a 270 shortly. You ever wish you would have went with the standard? I'm torn between the two. Seems like a lot more room for not much more money, but I love the outer size of the sumo. Much more portable.

Nice looking grub.

Hoping to get a 270 shortly. You ever wish you would have went with the standard? I'm torn between the two. Seems like a lot more room for not much more money, but I love the outer size of the sumo. Much more portable.

My biggest regret was not going with the 270 standard. The PBC adds capacity and I love it but it can't match the flavor I get with the 270.

Looks like you nailed it.

g do use a water pan when you cook in the 270?

Not with this cook I didn't, I usually do the first half of a cook with water and will only refill if it's a really long cook. Use it mostly to help regulate temps.

Thanks,that helps. I figured I may feel the same way.

It is fine for most of my cooks but sometimes I cook for 70-75 people. This is from the 270 Smokers website:

the SUMO, is a hybrid of our popular Mighty Mini and Standard smokers. The SUMO has the width of the Standard (enabling you to smoke full packer briskets) and the height and depth of the Mighty Mini (perfect for those who love a more compact smoker). You can smoke 4-6 Boston Butts or 2 large packer briskets or 8 full racks of St. Louis style ribs. The SUMO will typically run >8 hours on one load of lump charcoal (time dependent on load and smoking temperature).

Great looking butts . When you cook in the disposable pans , did you add any water in them ? I always use a full size disposable pan in the bottom of my sumo but always looking for different ways to do things.

Rick

Great looking butts . When you cook in the disposable pans , did you add any water in them ? I always use a full size disposable pan in the bottom of my sumo but always looking for different ways to do things.

Rick

No I didn't use any water in the pans at all. The juices flow out after its wrapped. Jason TQ did his in a pan on a recent cook so I figured I'd give it a shot and I'm glad I did.

Nothing wrong with those proteins. I'm loving the bark on the finished butt.

Looks dang good from here!

What kind of burn times are you getting out of the Sumo? I've heard they go a heck of a lot longer than what the manufacturer says so I'm just curious.

I have the 270 Standard. There was no Sumo in the 270 line when I bought mine 2 years ago. I have 6 shelves and roughly 1500 square inches of cooking surface. I thought I'd never need that much space, but have ended up using all of that at least twice per year. If you're on the fence between Sumo and Standard, I'd recommend the Standard.

Back