"Recreate a Childhood BBQ Memory!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, March 1st!!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Recreate a Childhood BBQ Memory!"

wMQ2V7i.jpg

As chosen by OferL for winning the "Salmon" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

OferL said:

For the next Throwdown:
A lot of us have a childhood BBQ food that we remember. I remember my father's Romanian Kabab. I can smell the garlic as I think about it! So let's recreate a childhood BBQ recipe/dish/experience.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/12 through Monday 3/1.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 3/1.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Hmmm, may have to burn the crap out of some chicken and sauce the crap out of it just like dad used to

Just put your usual mojo on that chicken, and I'm sure it will turn out great, Tom...

Welp, looks like I'll be doing grilled SPAM on a gasser(that I'd have to borrow) brushed with Zarda BBQ sauce served with Minute Rice and canned green beans that are covered in Lowry's seasoning salt.
Actually my Pops and his friends got first place at the Lenexa BBQ Battle back when they had a pro/am format so I've got some good ideas too.

No fair. My Dad never owned a grill until long after I was out of his house.

I started grilling as soon as possible because I like to eat and I love fire........

I am NOT going to throw some petrol on an open fire and have it run up my leg!

Had a red $7 grill back in the 70's. Will have to see if my red Big Joe is still frozen shut or not, although it cost a bit more than $7. But no, I'm not going to wear shorts... I wonder what I was cooking? But it looks like aluminum foil was involved. And look! I had brown hair...

Li2sgQsl.jpg

Burgers and dogs on a cheap charcol grill. Pops wasn't into bbq.

I sorry to hear a lot of your fathers were not into BBQ. My father... well wasn't either. Because we didn't have BBQ we had Mangal!
Every independence day, vacation, holiday, or just a nature trip had to have a Mangal meal.
This is a Mangal:
mangal.jpg

It has a small capacity for charcoal and is really hard to light. We did not have charcoal lighters. I only discovered those in my late 20's along with solid lighter materials.
The way to light a Mangal is:
1. Soak newspapers in cooking oil
2. Line the bottom of the Mangal with the paper
3. Pour charcoal over the paper
4. Light the paper
5. Watch the paper burn but the charcoal stays unlit - a very important step.
6. Pour lighter fluid over the coals and watch the bonfire.
7. Treat your burns with cold water or a cream if you came prepared.
8. Once the fire dies and you still don't have enough heat because the s**t charcoal didn't catch - use the Nafnafa.
This is a plastic Nafnafa:
Nafnafa.jpg
If you weren't prepared with one then use an unburnt newspaper. If you were extra prepared then you would have an electric fan. :hail:
The Nafnafa is used to blow air by waving it fast near the coals to make them hot. Usually the kids job. Until some grownup came and said "you're doing it wrong... we will never eat..." etc.
The Nafnafa was also used to blow air on the coals when they got cold after burning a short while cooking. This blew up ash which added the desired ash flavour to the food.

The food was always:
Chicken parts. Mostly quarts. Boneless if you were rich.
Hot dogs
Romanian Kabab
And if the people with us were ok - i.e. no Kosher stuff - pork chops.
Everything was well done. The other option was "well well done". No beef which was either slow cook parts and we didn't have the time, or crazy expensive steaks.

Of all that I have to explain what Romanian Kabab is. It is minced garlic with some ground beef & pork. It is a little spicy and stays on your breath for days. You would burp and the whole class knows what you ate. In Romania it's called Mititay. It is really good.
kabab.jpg
kabab2.jpg

It is also full of fat that causes huge fires in the Mangal. Served always burnt.
Those pictures are wrong.

Just a Friendly Observation:

I think Ofer came up with a creative Throwdown category that he obviously put some time and thought into.

Let's not take the wind out of this Throwdown's voyage by commiserating about traumatic lighter-fluid childhood memories. Not all of our Throwdowns are inclusive, as we sometimes have categories that don't always appeal to everyone, and even cooker specific categories that automatically prevent those who don't have those cookers from participating. You can wait this one out on the sidelines if it's not a good fit, OR, you might give it a go to correct those lighter fluid/burnt protein memories that may haunt some of you. :idea:

That is all...

:yo:

Hah! My pop was pretty handy on a grill. We always had some sort of wood burning grill. Last house I lived in with the folks had a sweet wood fired built in. Our camp/cabin had a large brick/stone grill that he and my uncles built. They had a large stainless steamer made that covered the entire surface, prolly 2x4 ft ... lots of clam bakes with that thing as well as whole hog cooks. Sadly, I find myself w/o a wood fired anything. I dropped the torch! I may remedy that soon. re-read your post ... laughed again! Thanks for that!

This is not an entry, as was a cook from December, but did a similar cook-off but the theme was re-create any classic childhood dish on the bbq. Not sure how well these foods are known internationally, but in the UK crispy pancakes and potato smileys were pretty standard childhood staples.

Smoked up a rack of beef short ribs, and shred them to use for the filling for the pancakes and the potato smileys were just formed using mashed potato, flour and some bbq rubs - then all cooked on the kamado - was good fun and went down well with the kids!

retrocook1.jpg

krispypancakes.jpg

^Those pancakes look good!

Back