Brisket & Pastrami Butt for Sunday

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our older tiny human hit 4 earlier this week :twitch:. Got few folks coming over tomorrow for a small bday gathering.

I'm just doing meat and grandparents bringing some sides. Brisket and a corned butt for some pastrami pork.

He helped get the brisket out of the garage fridge
2YB2MWNl.jpg

About 16lbs and gave it a little trim and then injected with help this morning :clap2:.
EMNOj8Al.jpg

6mU7H3Vl.jpg

kpCbONEl.jpg

dJWliU7l.jpg

Just rubbed the brisket down with some ground down Montreal Steak and then a little extra pepper
KXfXriHl.jpg

Corned butt got some generic pastrami rub I make (no recipe other than no salt).
qnrb95nl.jpg

Since we'll do earlier dinner I'm gonna warm them to death over night at around 200 :becky: and then finish in the morning.
rj3ugEGl.jpg

He's into Spiderman right now (I mean who isn't :-D) so wife just got done with this cake which is pretty freaking cool.
FlXaCSQl.jpg

More to come tomorrow. Supposed to be a crazy nice day.

Looking forward to the cook Jason and that is one fine cake. Happy bday to your son.

Your wife has some serious baking skills there! Can’t wait to see how the rest of the cook turns out tomorrow.

Well Happy Belated Birthday to the lil fella. He sure is getting a great dinner and cake

Happy Birthday little dood!!!

Happy birthday to the older tiny one!

A grand birthday feast!

The cake is spectacular, my Spidey senses tell me it will taste just as good as it looks!

Your boy with a brisket as big as his body is a keeper photo!

Looks to be a great day! He’s 4 already?!? How did that happen??? Cake looks great too...following along for sure...happy birthday to tiny human #1!!!

Just same as you would beef. Kind of a ham flavor, but a little different. I like it more than regular pulled pork. Corned ribs are great too.

I was really wondering if you did a curing brine or a dry cure.... which curing agent (Cure #1 or Tender Quick), and what additional spices, and cure times.

I was really wondering if you did a curing brine or a dry cure.... which curing agent (Cure #1 or Tender Quick), and what additional spices, and cure times.

I have a few threads and this one batch I did. I use cure 1 and my ratio of water/salt/cure/brown sugar is simply what Meathead does. I pretty much wing my "pickling spice" ratio eat time :crazy:.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283025

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe

I'll typically inject 10% of weight and then give it another 6'ish days in the drink.

Here's the rest of what I was able to get pics of.

Wife did a cool web slinger thing with a spiderman figure and marshmallow :-D
Q5pcbS7l.jpg

xV5vT3al.jpg

Brisket got a tinge overdone because of "reasons" :shock:. But this clearly hasn't been the first time and still tasted great despite semi-falling apart.
BbroPXrl.jpg

nEYCmtCl.jpg

Then used the leftover meat to chop up tonight and put in some biscuit dough I flattened out, added cheese and rolled up. Roasted potatoes too

5F32SPll.jpg

snAmad9l.jpg

IwUeN1tl.jpg

ltDOlbGl.jpg

Q6MTuGcl.jpg

Back