"Recreate a Childhood BBQ Memory!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, March 1st!!

I'm pretty sure I couldn't even come close to the charcoal black exterior with the totally undercooked interior chicken parts I was served as a child. :laugh:

A former next door neighbor mastered this technique. His secret was having a basting brush in his left hand and tongs in the right hand. The instant a piece of chicken went on the grate, the left hand sauced it.... and the right hand reached for another piece of chicken. When all the chicken was on the grill, he turned and basted, repeating this non-stop for about 15 or 20 minutes and would then declare that it was done. When the wind was right, the burning sauce was the telltale signal he was cooking..... it smelled like a loose water pump belt was overheating.

Okay, I have a plan..... which, by the way, includes one of my Grandma's secret ingredients :rolleyes:

6Quber6.jpg

Hmmm... Have to travel for work again, but if I have time, I'll see if I can whip up an updated, AKA not over cooked version of a dinner staple from my childhood. Pork Chops. Although with the below zero temps, I'm thinking the Big Joe will probably still be frozen shut. Will have to try it on the gasser.

Ofer, you need to enter something! Yours's might be the only entry and a guaranteed win. :wink:

TD entry

the recent throwdown theme is recreating a childhood memory. when I think back on my youth and live fire cooking the first thing that comes to mine is steak on a charcoal grill.

my old man taught me a lot and on of those things was how to cook a steak. dad was a man's man. steaks meant either ribeye or porterhouse. I'll always remember his coffee can with both ends removed and holes poked in the bottom, the first semblance of a chimney starter I've seen.

these were simple times and pop was a simple man. Friday night after work he would stop at the meat counter of the local spartan grocery store and buy us some steaks. sides always came from the deli. he always picked up some city chicken as an app. (city chicken weirdly enough is pork)

prKVFjgl.jpg

sticking with the dad theme I decided to season my del l monico with some cavanders and lemon pepper. didn't have no fancy mail order rubs.

JoXl3Oml.jpg

so with all this build up I bet your wondering what is dad's 7 minute steak method anyway? well it's to simple. you dump that coffee can of lit charcoal out and cook three and a half minutes on one side, flip and cook another 3.5 minutes to finish it off. I have modified it and added a quarter spin at 1:45 and 4:15

TrbHKobl.jpg

dad's technique for testing doneness was with a press of the finger. no rebound is not yet. slight spring back is money, total rebound means you should try a six minute steak

IP2PRGwl.jpg

as a bachelor dad cut some corners. one was letting the dog clean the plates. while I never let bruno eat table scraps I couldn't resist given the situation

wb6POTgl.jpg

polling pic

IP2PRGwl.jpg

I really enjoyed reading this ^
Thanks ninja

Glad to see some entries are starting to roll in - keep 'em coming!

I would like to enter the childhood BBQ memory TD
Cook Thread - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289934

As a kid I absolutely LOVED Mac N Cheese and yes the blue box stuff (Kraft).
But my Grandmother for special family cookouts or fish fries she broke out the special Mac N Cheese that was loaded with different kinds of chees she never told anyone what kind (I assume government block cheese) and it had the Cheese Its on top that was toasted.
Yes I know it is a side but I always looked forward to grill outs so she would make it.

So this is my grown up version that I tossed in the Traeger and I tell you what it sure did not disappoint.

Mac-N-Cheese-2-25-21.jpg

Okay, I have a plan..... which, by the way, includes one of my Grandma's secret ingredients :rolleyes:

I'll see your china berries and raise you a side of crab apples...

My two BBQ memories would be either pulled pork sammies w/ brunswick stew (I grew up near Fresh Air BBQ) or BBQ chicken quarters over a big cinder block pit (the Jaycees did this yearly as a fund raiser)...

I'm not sure what my wife would think if I was slathering on BBQ sauce in the new Yoder with a mop and bucket...*lol*

My dad worked the Graveyard shift so There weren't a lot of BBQ memories of him at a BBQ. My mother on the other hand took care of us kids and cranked out some really good food. One of the best dishes was a good Pot Roast with veggies.

This is my entry into the "Recreate a Childhood BBQ Memory!" Throwdown.

The cook thread can be seen here:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289794

Nice round of entries on this one! Poll to follow shortly...

First off..... this was a FUN Throwdown, and what a great idear, I kid you not (pun intended). :mrgreen: Here is my entry photo for the Childhood BBQ Memory TD. The link to my cooks thread in Q-Talk is HERE.

TUu66xh.jpg
Oh yes...this is from some of my summer backyard bbqs from years back with the family. BUT....missing the ripe watermelon and peach pie!!! Great job!!

Oh yes...this is from some of my summer backyard bbqs from years back with the family. BUT....missing the ripe watermelon and peach pie!!! Great job!!

For us it was either pecan pie or the banana cream with vanilla wafers on the crust, or home made ice cream. With any kid a candidate to man the crank.

Back