Germany & Greece - Upcoming 18 day trip - Bring on the food.

uncblue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Alright Food Family. Sitting here watching BBQ with Franklin --- Sausage Episode & daydreaming of an upcoming 18 day trip to Germany & Greece. Anyone have any suggestions on must visit spots? I'll be in Hamburg, Munich, Oldenburg, then Athens, Santorini, & Mykonos.

Any places that we have to hit? Any Brethren local? I'm combining business with celebrating my 40th with the wifey. Super excited.

How long will you be in the cities in Germany and how will you travel between them? I'll post you some tips when I get home from work.

One of my very favorite places in Munich is Andechser am Dom. Here is a description.
"Large restaurant & beer hall of a monastery brewery, offering hearty Bavarian dishes & a terrace."

This place is about a 30 second walk from Marienplatz which is Munich's central square. Plenty of trains stop here. If you go around happy hour or for dinner you will want to try to make a reservation. If you are around Marienplatz you will not be lacking for stuff to see/do. The glockenspiel, Farmers market (one of the vendors has an offset Joe smoker), The English Gardens, German beer halls. All of this is very close.

One of the best meals I've ever had in my life was at a restaurant in Athens called something like "Santorinio" or "Santorini's" or something like that - can't remember exactly. The owner is from Santorini and was a really cool guy. The food was simply amazing - we were there with a friend of his, so we didn't order - they just brought out plate after plate of incredible food. I'm guessing if you said "just bring whatever" they'd be really happy and proud to show off their awesome eats.

We spent a few days in Athens and in Santorini last year and we didn't have a bad meal while there. It might be good to dig around a little bit in Santorini - it's basically a paradise, but at the same time it is a tourist-oriented place, so there will be places that may exist just to get tourist $$, and there will be other places that are better. It would probably be a good idea to ask locals where they like to go. There's a part of the afternoon when the cruise ships pull up and Santorini is completely overrun with those crowds - selfie sticks and all - that's a good time to take a nap (or whatever...the song "Afternoon Delight" comes to mind...:twisted:).

There are a couple seafood spots right on the water in Santorini below where people watch the sunset - great stuff there. Might be a good idea to get a reservation. Very fresh seafood!

I don't have a lot of info to offer for Germany except for doner kebabs and frites - love that stuff!

Don't have any recommendations for where you're going. In my experience it was always easy to find good food in Germany and Greece.

Don't overlook the small "wurst" stands in Germany - many of these are great little spots for a snack/small lunch!

Don't overlook the small "wurst" stands in Germany - many of these are great little spots for a snack/small lunch!

oh yeah, those are great for late-night snacks too. Dang, I love German food. :hungry:

Yeah those bratwurst stands are great. As foppa said andechser am Dom is a great place and they have probably some of the best hefeweizen beers. Another great fast food over here is Döner, especially Hamburg has a lot stands where you can get them.
If you like pizza go to the osteria in munich the pizza there is great and huge.
For beverage I'd recommend you to try astra beer in Hamburg, Rathaus tannenzäpfle if you find it somewhere and as said andechs in Munich.
Munich has a lot of small beer halls from small breweries that offer awesome beer.
Tell me some details about your tour and I can give you some more advices.

Thanks all for the recommendations. We decided to skip Berlin & head to Munich for Oktoberfest.

I'm excited to say the least. Still working out exactly which Greek islands that we'll hit. Definitely thinking the 45 min plane trips are better than 8 hr ferry rides.

^^^might be worth checking flights at dfferent times of day - IIRC there was a pretty dramatic price difference between the morning and afternoon flights from Athens to Santorini, with the morning flights being cheaper. I think they have high speed ferries as well, but they're still like 5 hours or something like that. There's a place in Athens airport where you can dump your bags - for a fee of course (it isn't too bad) - if you don't want to haul a bunch of crap you don't need to the islands. It's at the end of the baggage claim hall & pretty easy to deal with.

I've been to Berlin. But since you're not going there will skip that. Last May me and my wife were on a 10 day road trip to mainland Greece. We've been to Crete and Rhodes a few years ago. Their nice but very commercial. The mainland holds many interesting and beautiful places like Meteora, Pelion, Zagoria etc. It was a great trip but the food was disappointing. We ate at tripadvisor recommended restaurants and local recommended places as well. Apart from two really good ones, most restaurants were mediocre. One of the good restaurants was in a high village up in the mountains and the other in Patras, which I understand you're not going to visit. I hope you have better luck than us. Or at least don't get your hopes too high. We found the street food like shawarma with tzaziki in pita to be the simple food we looked for most of the time...

Back