First Comp

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Entered my first comp, armed with a few years of knowledge gleaned here from BBQ Brethren veterans who kindly and generously told of their methods and informed us of the desired results.
That is important for us who have never had American style BBQ.

The Competition was to raise money for Lifeline, an organisation that helps save the lives of young Australians in crisis.
It was in the central business district of Perth, so an intimidating venue really.
DSC_0631_zpsgyfvbwao.jpg

There were three categories, and we started cooking at 9pm and presented our turn in boxes from 12 midday the following day.
My team was called Boarshank Redemption.
I liked the name as soon as I thought of it,the idea of a pun on a theme of overcoming incredible odds, of turning the worst circumstances around somehow, of overcoming incredible adversary, of recovery of dignity all against steep odds.
Looking at it, we were a team who got together about 4 weeks before the event, and that only happened because my mate Beachbums threw his hat in the ring against the odds, he was going to have a crack ON HIS OWN, if that is what it came down to. Guts or madness?
Anyway, when he asked I was not about to say no.
In an Aussie bbq forum we asked if anyone else wanted to jump in boots and all, and holy crap did we draw the royal flush of teamies or what?
SilentBob bought an offset 4 weeks ago, his first ever barbecue!
Ever!
However, the dude can cook, I mean he already is down with kitchens, and that counts for a LOT in my book.
Brilliant attitude, speaks out with great opinions and snaps to when his skipper chooses another path, he puts his shoulder behind the captains call and goes hard.
We got another of those guys in Alimac23.
The guy can cook, really cook. Team player, and has a facet to his personality that I thanked the BBQ Gods for many times over those first weeks of getting to know him.
He has the cooks innate timeclock, and he applies it to the cook site. His alertness to the various chores and tasks, his ability to respond to that inner alarm, even in the middle of one of my brilliantly entertaining stories while I am doing prep, he suddenly gets that look in his eye and peels off to check something, a fan, the temps of the cooker, whatever. (Rude bastard...
icon_lol.gif
)
Again, a brilliant teamie who supports the team direction 100%
We couldn't have even attempted this without Beachbums.
Beachbums is the steroidal muscular turtle in the story, he will grind your arse into charcoal dust. He thinks of a series of tasks in his head, lines them out, thinks of all that has to be done and puts his head down and shunts, and he just grinds like a juggernaut. He isn't coming fast, but if you don't step aside, you are a bug on the windshield.
Then of course, we had our girls, Jan, who even on their anniversary, allowed her fella to go play BBQ King, and supported him in it completely! What a woman!!!
My girl, Jackster, Ali's Lisa and Josh's Chiharu, Perth's coffee queen who all really got behind us on this, and of course, our mentor, secret weapon and BBQ supplier who sold Beach Bums, Josh and I our BBQ weapons, then tutored us and let us use his facilities for our prac run, loaned us stuff and was generally very very generous to this bunch of muppets tackling a comp for the first time, UrbanGriller.
So, being appointed Skipper and Chef of such a crew, I secretly thanked the Gods, even though it was made clear I had no choice in the appointment.Baztards.
I was proud to be elected, to be honest and ever not so humble, I was chuffed.

We had our moments!
You have to expect that, especially if your team is intelligent and able, you are going to have different opinions.
The clincher is to be agreed on how you operate. We got through that.
We also had fate to deal with, our prime cooking weapon managed to sneak off and hide and not get loaded on the truck!
Now seeing we were minus our offset when we set up at the site, brothers, let me tell you, THAT was a moment! The guys loading the trucks simply forgot it!!
We had to mentally deal with that, swing the tiny rock hammer at the wall and re plan, re map our cook.
Thats what we did!.
Then, one of our principal cookers, a large piece of cooking real estate, decided it did not want to play along and chat itself. Completely. Went from a rib and butt machine into a metallic lump and cost us an hour and a half trying to get it to work.
So fate threw that, and more at us, and the thing I am proudest of us our collective ability to get our heads together under fire, to gather ourselves and just figure out how we could overcome. I snapped to HotnFast, and I think it may have scared the boys silly, but to their credit and they just threw themselves into the challenge and went with the call. We shuffled meats, we jigged temperatures, took the probes out and cooked naked.
That's all the tradecraft we are sharing, we knew the reef was there but we unfurled the spinnaker anyway.
What else could go wrong?
Whatever else did, it met with my competent cool headed fella's and it submitted.
As you can tell, I am gushing with pride over our crew!
I may be overtired but I am also ecstatic with the outcome.

The guys I did meet there were typical big hearted great people, typical BBQ people.
Happy to be one of them!
Grand Champions, every one of them!

They are talking about getting the USA Embassy here to send next years winner to a competition in the USA, some of you may have to host me!
I hope so, I am going to practice some more!
Here are some pics of the event and my masterful crew!
DSC_0618_zpsbarwmgnx.jpg

DSC_0608_zpsoh0lznzx.jpg

857d1a8a-9ad6-4e3b-900b-9892b9b11f95_zps5tidemev.jpg

I want to thank the veterans, all my friends here for all the fantastic mentoring as well as the friendship over the last few years!:clap2:
Category
1)Pork Ribs
Smokin Steven 1st Place
2)Smoked pork Butt
Boarshank Redemption 1st Place
3) Beef brisket
Boarshank Redemption
1st Place
Grand Champions 2015
Boarshank Redemption

:yo:

Last edited:
Congrats to you and your team, buccs!!! Sounds like a good crew! But perhaps next year, don't get pissed before loading the cookers and you could get a full sweep! :becky: :thumb:

That there's a lot of words. Is there a cliff notes version? All I caught was that Buccs got pissed, forgot a cooker, still won. Did I miss anything??

Congrats brother. We're proud of ya!

Wow!!! Awesome story and congrats on the win, food looks great.

You team mantra can be "Offset? We dont need no stinkin' offset"

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Hell YEAH!!! Way to go man! And thanks for the story!

That is awesome uc Thaks for sharing and thanks for letting me know of this post :thumb::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Great job.

I couldn't even think about cooking for a big crowd let alone a comp.

Back