Comment card

winochef

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
At our last competition we got a comment card for our brisket that was very weird:
Appearance-9
Taste-6
Tenderness-6
Comment:
I did not get a slice. only burnt ends. It was fatty and chewy, slice may have helped score- not your fault

We reviewed the pictures we took of our box and 2 peoples shots show 6 slices and 6 burnt ends. The last comment "not your fault" left us scratching our heads! Did one judge take 2 or drop one on the floor? Having only 3 comps under our belt what should have been the actions we should have taken to get clarification. I guess going to head judge right then would have been the best action but we didn't realize it until we got on the road. Should we question it now?

I Looked on the KCBS site and it listed their names on the event info but no contact info. Do I call the Main office?

You can contact the rep, but I am not sure how far you will you get. To the best of my knowledge, the rules only state that there must be at least six samples. So either you had a judge that was a dick and took two slices, or you had a slice that wasn't cut all the way through and the judge had to take both slices. How many slices were in your box?

6 pieces of burnt ends and slices were in the box, several people were taking photos of each box before turn in. We have verified the numbers. We always lay each piece flat to sauce and inspect so I feel sure all were cut through. The comment "not your fault" has us perplexed!

That leads to me thinking the first part of my previous answer. If I was at that table I would have called them on it. Sucks.... :sad:

Read the following as constructive criticism... The problem is that your burnt ends were "fatty and chewy" according to the judge who filled the comment card, not that they didn't get a slice. What were the other taste and tenderness scores from other judges? If you had only gone with slices, this judge would've gotten one. Think If they had gotten a slice and still had the burnt end,... The scores may only be a point different.
Rules only state you have to have 6 samples in the box, you don't have to put 6 slices and 6 burnt ends. If they aren't good, don't put em in the box.

Read the following as constructive criticism... The problem is that your burnt ends were "fatty and chewy" according to the judge who filled the comment card, not that they didn't get a slice. What were the other taste and tenderness scores from other judges? If you had only gone with slices, this judge would've gotten one. Think If they had gotten a slice and still had the burnt end,... The scores may only be a point different.
Rules only state you have to have 6 samples in the box, you don't have to put 6 slices and 6 burnt ends. If they aren't good, don't put em in the box.

We thought the BEs were very good, it was Wagyu.Maybe that's why the fatty comment. That judge also said they didn't get a slice if they had it might have helped so are you saying they chose not to take a slice. I thought they were to take one of each i.e. pork-MM, pulled, chunks. One judge gave us 9 9 another gave us 9 8. the others 7 8. Do you think the judge who submitted a comment card decided to score us on taste and tenderness based sole on the BE and skip the slices?

Yes, I am saying that is possible. - they only haveto take one sample to make their judgement. I would suggest they put the comment card in there as almost an apology, after scoring the appearance so high (apology for not taking a slice instead/too).
To your thought that they were to take one of each, that is not correct; you could put all MM for pork or all of chopped/pulled. Brisket, you could put all slice or burnt end or even go chopped if you want. You can't be judged (or not supposed to be, anyhow) on what is not in the box as long as you have 6 samples.

It is possible that a judge grabbed two slices, leaving no slices for the last judge. Maybe because two of the slices weren't cut all the way through, or maybe another judge was just greedy and took two pieces. Either way, you should consider putting a couple extra slices in the box...just in case.

I understand you don't have to put MM and pulled ect. but IF you do put a combo of styles in the same box that they would taste some of each kind, again if you put different kinds.

I thought they were to take one of each i.e. pork-MM, pulled, chunks.

This is not correct. The judge is under no obligation to take more than one sample and it can be from any part they choose. I think in practice, and feedback from any judges would be great on this, they do take a sample of each when it comes to brisket (slice/BE) and pork (MM/Pulled or chopped) but they don't have to.

It is possible that a judge grabbed two slices, leaving no slices for the last judge. Maybe because two of the slices weren't cut all the way through, or maybe another judge was just greedy and took two pieces. Either way, you should consider putting a couple extra slices in the box...just in case.

I've seen it happen twice at my judging table, once the cook was fortunate to have enough pieces. The second time the cook only had 6 pieces in the box.

It's amazing how little is needed to hold two pieces together and judges are taught not to shake them to try to separate.

I was at that contest and sat at that table. I was told afterwards by one judge that he saw another judge take 2 slices, and by the time the box got to him, only one burnt end was left. He did say that he reported this to the Rep, so that the Rep would know about it. I don't know if it was reported during or after judging. I know that The judge who gave you the comment card is a very good judge, takes it very seriously, is a master judge, and judges for several organizations.

OOOH Dang, I thought we were gonna have a good 'ol judging mystery.
Turns out it was just a dick judge. If your laying out your slices to sauce then there is virtually no chance there were two stuck together. lending to my "dick judge" theory.
The guaranteed fix grasshopper,always have extra in the box.

Ed

I was at that contest and sat at that table. I was told afterwards by one judge that he saw another judge take 2 slices, and by the time the box got to him, only one burnt end was left. He did say that he reported this to the Rep, so that the Rep would know about it. I don't know if it was reported during or after judging. I know that The judge who gave you the comment card is a very good judge, takes it very seriously, is a master judge, and judges for several organizations.

If that is the case, that judge should not judge again.

If you want to turn this into a positive, it appears that your slices might be better than your ends, so you know what to work on. I don't know how many times I've wondered if the ends helped or hurt my score and I've never gotten a comment either way.

Back