Cooking my first Tomahawk

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was talking to my butcher last week and telling him that I was going to have to cook something "nice" for my in-laws this past weekend. I also mentioned that there was a Ribeye Master TD going on. And he disappeared to the back for a few minutes and came out with this butcher paper wrapped package for me that simply said "ribeye - bone-in" 4.8lbs @7.99pp...told me not to open it until I got home...lol.

Here it is after I dressed it up a bit with rosemary, thyme, red chili flakes, Hawaiian sea salt, and shiitake powder:

vKoYfUOh.jpg

And for scale:

K8KDYJth.jpg

For big cuts, I like to cold smoke first...2 hours of cherrywood smoke in my stickburner below 100F...basically chain-burning one mini-split at a time:

59VHfpZh.jpg

For cooking this giant chop, I decided to slow-grill it on my santa maria and baste it with melted bone marrow. All told, this ended up being about a two hour process to get to an IT of 130F. I love building that rich, deep, carmelized crust through constant cycles of searing, basting with bone marrow and tempering (resting and stabilizing temperature). Here it is about halfway through, over cherry and mesquite:

5G6b6CGh.jpg

And voila! The finished steak with that slow-grilled marrow-basted crust...almost as if the whole thing was deep fried:

ftrfewyh.jpg

Here's a rather messy shot of the inside, but there were human vultures circling and I would have been eaten alive if I tried to take more pics...a perfect and tender pink from edge to edge with an amazingly savory and rich crust on every slice...no cruddy burned grillmarks and gray zones. You can just make out a smoke ring too:

CvCfEcNh.jpg

I served this with my lovely wife's mac and cheese and sautéed broccolini to rave reviews. No leftovers to be had...a great excuse to cook this again! Fed 6 adults and 3 kids for a total outlay of about $60 (not including the 3 bottles of Napa wine we opened) and 4 hours of my time cooking. Pretty good in my book!

That looks to be an experience even a high end steakhouse can't deliver.

Bravo! :clap:

. . . . (Drops the mic and walks off speechless).

That is one great looking steak. Just like a lot of others above me said, nothing else to say.

Wow! I wasn't planning on doing the ribeye TD and now my decision has been confirmed!

Back