Small pork butts

Irrivirsible

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Stopped at the store today and on the way out checked out the meat section and found 3 small pork butts on special today that have a date of 9/19.
Supposed to be bone in, I have not opened the package yet. 2.87 lb, 3.14 lb, and 3.83 lb.

Might be a good size to practice my first butt on the Weber Kettle, or I could hang all 3 in the PBC. Being so small would you do them differently? I would imagine they would cook fairly quick.

Wow...them is little. One thing I found is that it still takes quite a while even with the little guys. Might consider cooking then cubing one and doing it as some faux burnt ends.

Wow...them is little. One thing I found is that it still takes quite a while even with the little guys. Might consider cooking then cubing one and doing it as some faux burnt ends.
Butt burnt ends.... hmmmmm, those might be aweful tasty!

I've done burnt ends out of chuck roast before and they don't have the complexity or depth of flavor as the real thing but still a good dish.

They are almost definitely cut down pork butts.....I find they don't cook up quite the same as whole butts which are almost always between 7-10lbs on market size hogs......I'd smoke them and wrap in butcher paper once the color looks good.

Stopped at the store today and on the way out checked out the meat section and found 3 small pork butts on special today that have a date of 9/19.
Supposed to be bone in, I have not opened the package yet. 2.87 lb, 3.14 lb, and 3.83 lb.

Might be a good size to practice my first butt on the Weber Kettle, or I could hang all 3 in the PBC. Being so small would you do them differently? I would imagine they would cook fairly quick.
Lot's of bark.

They don't cook much faster. They tend to be stubborn.

If you guys are quoting Sir Mix-A-Lot it's...
I like big butts and I can not lie. :pound:

I like the idea to get to desired color and then wrap.

Really small butts take way longer than you would think (like a 5lb but takes 75% of the time a 10lb butt would) and they often have problems being dry.

I would try super high on the hearty smoking woods (hickory or pecan or mesquite if you like mesquite) and try to get good color in 2-3 hours and then wrap to get through the stall and avoid dryness.

Back