Smoking Venison

jhawkd01

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Deer season is under way in SC and I am hunting this weekend. I normally get my deer processed into bulk venison and sausage. Has anyone had any success smoking different cuts of venison?

Last edited:
You get the whole deer processed into burger and sausage?

You definitely want to keep the tenderloins and loins (backstrap) for sure. Also you can cut great steaks out of the sirloins. I make jerky out of the rounds, but you can cook this as a nice roast as well.

My new favorite way is sous vide venison to rare, roll in bacon grease, then throw on the smoker hot to finish. It's killer.

We smoke whole shoulders, whole hind quarters and whole deer. It is very lean it can easily get a bit dry. I must say I don't mind it smoked until able to pull with a vinegar BBQ sauce. The vinegar and tomatoe cuts the game taste a bit. We grind the neck and scraps. The rest get cut into steaks, roast or smoked.

I must say I don't mind it smoked until able to pull with a vinegar BBQ sauce. The vinegar and tomatoe cuts the game taste a bit.

What internal temps are you going for and roughly how long?

I often smoke various venison roasts (bone-in and boneless) like folks do chuckies. I season, then sear, then smoke for 2-3 hours, then braise in seasoned broth until it is pullable. I then reintroduce some of the pan liquids back into the pulled venison. It is very good.

Tried smoking a small roast a few years ago, but didn't care for the dry results. Have to give it another shot using the suggestions posted here.

You get the whole deer processed into burger and sausage?

I have the loins pulled and will occasionally get cube steak made, but mostly we use the ground meat for everything.

Grab the tenderloins for sure. You can do that yourself super easy. Once you've gutted the deer they are located on inside of the cavity next to the spine on both sides. They are kind of football shaped. Cut those off your deer before you send it to the processor. It really requires no more work and you don't have to skin your deer or anything to get to them. They will be the most tender cuts of all on the deer and would be a shame to have them wind up in the burger pile (or on your processor's plate for his dinner). Cook medium rare like you would a filet mignon.

Definitely cook the tenderloins like steaks, but rarer than you like beef. If you like med rare beef, you may be able to do rare deer tenderloin

I de-bone a deer leg and put steak fat trimmings in the middle and tie into a compact shape. I do 225 with a NC-style vinegar mop till it hits 150-160m and then wrap till pullable.

The first time, I would wrap in foil as this produces a braising action.

After you do that try butcher paper and see which you prefer.

The other option would be to smoke to something like 100-110, and the direct grill over charcoal to 125 or so for a Baltimore pit beef treatment

Back