• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> **Special**"2016 Ribeye Master!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS ALL MONTH!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new September Special TD category is..."2016 Ribeye Master!"

5312014BIGMEAT2_zpsd8b533bc.jpg

Snake River Farms Cowboy Ribeye

MASTER'S CUT CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING

Your entry must consist of Beef Ribeye Steak as an exclusive feature. It can either be boneless or bone-in, your choice.

2. You must cook the cut of meat using a charcoal and/or wood fired grill or smoker, or over an open wood fire.

3. Only one entry may be submitted per person.

[FONT=&quot]4. You must submit one photo of your cut of meat in raw form, another one while it is on the cooker, and one photo of your meat fully cooked. You can submit other photos if you wish, but you must include these 3 to showcase the piece of meat, how you're cooking it, and the result. In other words, your entry will include 3 photos, not one. If you do submit more than 3 photos, you must indicate which 3 will be used for judging or we will pick them for you. You are encouraged to post your full cook thread in QT, and link back here to this entry thread, but you MUST include these three photos in this entry thread. Here is an example from a previous Master's Cut TD Vote thread:

[/FONT]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=101743

5. The meat must stand on its own. For your final photo, the meat must not be accompanied by any sides or garnish. It can be in whole form, or sliced and arranged as you wish.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/2/16 through the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 10/3/16.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday10/3/16

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Couldn't believe my luck when I discovered this new topic considering I had just been gifted a nice ribeye from my brother. One of the perks of being a dog sitter, I suppose.

Anyway, I decided to try doing a reverse sear. I'd been wanting to try that technique for a good long while, and this seemed like the opportune time.

I dry-brined my ribeye for 24 hours and tossed it onto the cooler side of the grill and let it cruise along around 250 degrees until my steak's internal temp. read 120. I removed the steak, foiled it, and proceeded to get the other side of the grill rip-roaring hot. After it heated up I put the steak over the hot coals for around 60 seconds per side to pretty it up.

Here are my entry photos:

ribeye1_zpsxaws79bs.jpg

ribeye2_zpsomv6rye1.jpg

ribeye3_zpsxonnltgc.jpg

Overall I was pleased with my results. Next time I'd probably do the initial cooking around 225 or so, instead of the 250-260 it was today. I had a little bit of trouble getting my temp. as low as I wanted it, got impatient, and just rolled with the elevated heat. That might've helped get rid of more of the darker band.

Also, by the time it was totally finished it was probably a good 5-10 degrees higher than I would have liked, so I might pull it earlier than 120 next time too.

Still though, it was a pretty dang good steak.

Ribeye Contest

DSC03792.jpg

Started with a 1” thick ribeye that weighed 16oz.

DSC03794.jpg

Cooked on my Cobb Grill on a set of Grill Grates running a temperature of 575-600 degrees. Total cooking time was 9:30 minutes.

DSC03799.jpg

As this was a practice cook for an upcoming steak cook off as well as this contest, I cooked it to about 140 degrees internal or medium to be within those rules. If I were cooking it for myself, I would have cooked it to medium rare.

Old Dave

OK, here it goes. Just going to submit the 3 required photos in this post for the throwdown, seeing as how this is my first attempt.

#1) Raw Meat

I seasoned it with Jocko's blend
#2) Cooking on the Santa Maria pit over a mix of Red Oak, Mesquite, and Competion blend.

#3) Final product resting on the cutting board.

Guess I'll go with #2 as being my "Official" photo for the entry.

All in all, lots of fun. I got too wrapped up in taking pictures on the grill and forgot to work on my sides. Resulted in a slightly longer rest on the Rib eye than I wanted and it got a bit more towards Medium Rare that the Rare I normally enjoy.

OK, let's give this a go. Started a little late, so I finished up in the dark. But let's go with it.

Picked up a nice boneless ribeye on the way home.

IMG_20160916_192855.jpg

Coat of Carne Crosta then cooked indirect for a while with a couple chunks of Maple.

Bonus Shot:
IMG_20160916_193418.jpg

Then hit the hot side of the Joe to finish up.

IMG_20160916_201614.jpg

And finally resting before being devoured:

IMG_20160916_202015.jpg

My pics were taken last Sunday before I seen this throw down. They aren't up to the glamour shots of the other entries.

Fresh out of the fridge and ready to be seasoned.

Seasoned with some Happy Heifer after rubbed down with Worcestershire.

After a slow cooker at 225F over some mesquite for flavor.

A little reverse search over 600F.

A couple slices on the plate before the sides

Great entries!

Mod note -

If you do not specify which 3 pictures you want to use (when you include more than 3) I will have to choose for you. I will do my best, but if you don't specify, you will get what you get.

Back to the action!

This is my official entry -

Just under a 2lb boneless ribeye, was just under 3" thick

I Dry brined it in the fridge for the afternoon, Seasoned with salt lick, then slow smoked it at about 200 with cherry wood until the IT hit about 110.

Then it hit the chimney for a sear -

EVoqjve.jpg

Here is a bonus shot just off the sear. It had a really great crust. (Do not use this shot for my entry)

hDTEMtn.jpg

Topped with compound butter and a little hit of tajin. IT was 126. Super juicy and most certainly did not suck

HDXEErh.jpg

Last edited:
Uh oh shaggy, you topped the steak with butter, is that legal?

JK. That crust looks outstanding. I much prefer that to pretty grill marks.

Official entry

Here is my official entry in the Ribeye Master TD.

I got lucky and our local Haggens had Double R Ribeye on special so I had them slice off a 2-1/2" hunk.

Entry 1 .jpg

I seasoned up with a Porcini mushroom rub (this stuff makes meat meatier!) Built a fire and made coals for a few hours while I enjoyed the fire and beverages of choice. OK - A cigar too!

Here she is after the flip

Entry 2 .jpg

It dot take long to cook at inferno temps. I like a good sear / crust and rare in the middle.

This is how it turned out

Entry 3 .jpg

It did not Suck

The full cook (kinda) is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3650524#post3650524

Thanks for Lookin !
SD

Back