Paper or plastic

cameraman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I read the paper on line so newspaper is in short supply here. I was going to fire up the chimney this afternoon and went looking in the cabinet where I usually keep newspapers and didn't see any but what I did see was a Trader Joe's bag filled with Trader Joe's bags. Here's the walkaway -- One trader Joe's bag ripped and crumbled does the trick.

I just use a couple of paper towels. I always have those around.

I have been using the Weber lighter cubes along with some paper towels soaked in a little cooking oil...

We have a free local classifieds paper at most stores around here so I just grab a stack of 20 or so. Can't beat free.

Dave

Somewhere in here sterno was mentioned as a starter for chimney. Anyhoo, thats what I'll be switching to.:idea:

I just use the top of the charcoal bag after I dump some out. When it's empty I save the last of it to get the next bag started.

Newspaper is too messy, I use starter cubes or a single paper towel lightly oiled now.

Local paper sends a weekly flyer with classified ads, plus I get some from work, when I remember. I have to try the paper towels sprayed with oil, less mess sounds good.

I had to use a Colorado DOT map this weekend. I couldn't find the starter sticks I bought.

I've used a number of things in a pinch. PAM is the key, really. Paper towels, paper sacks, even the cardboard off of cereal boxes. If it's paper and/or wood based, it is a target at those times. Even so, you're never in a real jam so long as you make one of these, which we used to make/bring for scout camps. They last a real long frigging time, and so easy to refill. Just corrugated cardboard, parrafin and a can (like a tuna can)...

buddy+burner.jpg

Or if you just want to spend some money and have some fun, those Weber cubes are frigging AWESOME!! Sam's Club sells Sterno Cans to heat foodservice trays. Those will work. So will a friggin arrangement of tealight candles if you need.

I guess I have never just held a lighter to the underside of a chimney though. That would also work if yoou are patient and have the right kind of lighter to go that long.

Or just get a weedburner.

Or use your gasser.

DO NOT put your chimney over your stove though. I'm sure you already know that, but in case you're getting ideas.

Blowtorches...

OK, I'll stop now.

One word: WEEDBURNER!!! My neighbors really loose it when I fire up my weedburner & hit the TurboBoost at midnight :twisted:.

Newspaper is too messy, I use starter cubes or a single paper towel lightly oiled now.
I'm with you, I'm a starter cube guy. 1 cube and my chimney is going every time. I think it costs me like 15 cents per cube, way too cheap to hassle with anything else.

Got an old turkey fryer? Sit the chimney on top turn on about 2min and your done. Knew that old thing would come in handy for something!

Attachments

• pit 1.jpg
    pit 1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 62
{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1659187 said:
I use the extra money I have laying around. Burns nice and slow.

I'll trade you that money for some more effective, slower burning newspaper. :becky:

Back