Veal steaks?

C

crow-p5

Has anyone done anything with veal steaks? I've got a bunch, but no idea what to do with them. Don't know if it would be better to grill them or smoke them.

crow-p5 said:
Has anyone done anything with veal steaks? I've got a bunch, but no idea what to do with them. Don't know if it would be better to grill them or smoke them.

Yes. Are they sirloin or shoulder steaks?
Most of what I see in my market are shoulder steaks. Unless they are very thick, I would grill them. You can treat them just like a beef steak-which they are. Just remember they have less fat, so need less time, and will not do well past medium or medium rare.
My favorite way is to season with salt and pepper, rub with a little evoo, and then toss on a medium-hot charcoal grill. I cook to a medium-rare. Personal preference, but if for some reason you don't eat anything but well-done meat, then forget all this and braise them in something instead. They are really good that way too.

Thanx for the tip. Think I'll fire up the grill tomorrow and try them out.

I'm with qman.

Go with the grill and keep your seasoning simple. Veal is very tender and not nearly as "beefy" as full grown cow but is great eats.

... hope you come up with something special ! .... only thing I know is not 'Q' , but braised after starting with 'trinity' saute, then veal stock (can be chicken or veggie stock) and into oven to braise. For me it's either thin-thin scallopini
or long-cooked (Oso Bucco style).

Back