• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for suggestions for a cabinet smoker.

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well I went to pick up a Humphries and left empty handed. Unfortunately there was shipping damage on all the Weekenders that came in. We unwrapped them all and rails were bent and a chip in the paint. So I shot off an email over the weekend and it's Tuesday and no response from the manufacturer. So l am probably not buying a Humphries at this point.
I am not out to bash anyone. Just saying why we are going in another direction. Just didn't work for me to take a damaged smoker. I waited too long to be able to buy an insulated cabinet smoker. The dealer, who I consider a good friend, said he would be not be offended if I bought from someone else.
I would just order one but he was having a sale where it was free shipping and I would have to pay for it to be shipped. Then I wonder if I would be stuck with it if it got damaged in shipping. Not really important at this point. Just disappointed. I kind of had my heart set on the Weekender as it addresses all my needs.

I guess what I am asking what's out there that is similar to the Weekender that can handle full sized pans and is compact? I need to fit one large packer brisket whole and two pork butts at once. Preferably a similar price.
I saw a stumps, a backwoods, and I considered a 270 but I think the sumo won't fit easily if at all in the van. So the 270 is out I think.
The backwoods chubby 3400 sounds closest but isn't even out yet but at $699 not a bad price at all. Not sure I want to buy one that isn't even out yet.
The mini Stumpster isn't bad looking but at $1350 is stretching the budget but you know "Stumps Don't Build No Junk" then you add in shipping.
Any other smokers that might fit the Bill? Let me know.

So it has to fit a packer brisket and two butts at once. It has to be insulated and durable. Portable. Got to be in the ball park of $1,000. A warranty would be nice but not a deal breaker. Good customer service is a must. I plan to keep this for at least 6 years before I go larger. Its a long term.commitment for me so I really need top notch customer service.
So any suggestions?

I'm kind of eyeing the 3400 because of its size. It should be just like a bigger red box and easier to transport than others. Sucks that your dream was crushed.

What response were you looking for from Humphrey's for a smoker an independent dealer is seller. Humphrey's customer service is impeccable. I would highly consider them if I were you.

I'm kind of eyeing the 3400 because of its size. It should be just like a bigger red box and easier to transport than others. Sucks that your dream was crushed.
Its life what can you do? From talking to my friend sounds like he is stuck with them until he can sell them. That bothers me more than missing out on a dream smoker. He is going to take a loss. We don't have to many BBQ dealers close by
He is out of a storage locker for now until he can find a store that works. Seriously the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. Always willing to talk barbecue. I met him at the first backyard comp I ever cooked. He sent me a free jar of sauce just to be a nice guy. I would just buy a bigger one off him but I don't have a trailer to haul one now. I have a van and that Weekender would have been perfect. Once you throw in a trailer and a hitch to be able haul a larger one it is way over budget.
I am going to look around and then decide if I want to wait.

The more I think about it the more I want to wait until he has to order more. Might be a long time though as its not much of a BBQ area. I know he has a weeble from last year. So I might be waiting awhile.

I was looking at the size of cookers you are looking at and it came down to the Sumo, G2 Chubby and Weekender. I was leaning towards the the G2 but decided to go with a Hunsaker Drum instead, because I like hanging Ribs and Poultry.

What response were you looking for from Humphrey's for a smoker an independent dealer is seller. Humphrey's customer service is impeccable. I would highly consider them if I were you.

I guess since they packed it I feel they should back him up and replace them. He blamed the shipper and said the Humphreys folks are great. He never said one bad word on them.
Kind of if they don't back up their dealers it says to me they won't take care of me. That's how it comes across to me.

I guess since they packed it I feel they should back him up and replace them. He blamed the shipper and said the Humphreys folks are great. He never said one bad word on them.
Kind of if they don't back up their dealers it says to me they won't take care of me. That's how it comes across to me.

That makes no sense. If they pack my eggs at the store perfectly and I drop them that is on me. Not saying the dealer dropped it but the shipper might have. They have excellent customer service and if you ordered a unit direct and it was damaged in shipping they would make it right. I hope you find a great smoker but your are missing out if you don't get a humphreys. Hands down best purchase I have ever made in any capacity.

That makes no sense. If they pack my eggs at the store perfectly and I drop them that is on me. Not saying the dealer dropped it but the shipper might have. They have excellent customer service and if you ordered a unit direct and it was damaged in shipping they would make it right. I hope you find a great smoker but your are missing out if you don't get a humphreys. Hands down best purchase I have ever made in any capacity.

They packed them. I am saying they should have been packed better. If freight shipping is so bad which from anyone I talked to it can be then why not pack them better? I don't really want to turn this into a bash Humphreys thread. I sent my opinion and they can do as they wish. If they respond great and if not well that is their choice.
Again though to be clear it's my opinion and the dealer said nothing bad about Humphreys at all and spoke very highly of them. Just the way I see it.

They packed them. I am saying they should have been packed better. If freight shipping is so bad which from anyone I talked to it can be then why not pack them better? I don't really want to turn this into a bash Humphreys thread. I sent my opinion and they can do as they wish. If they respond great and if not well that is their choice.
Again though to be clear it's my opinion and the dealer said nothing bad about Humphreys at all and spoke very highly of them. Just the way I see it.

Well that is kind of what you did. Do you think your world class BBQ guy would keep selling a product if it usually arrived damaged?

Well that is kind of what you did. Do you think your world class BBQ guy would keep selling a product if it usually arrived damaged?

You asked I answered. I think they should back him up but in reality I have no scratch in The game. So it's just my opinion and my option to not buy one based on that opinion. They could respond positively or Not. Since no response yet. I am not saying they won't be stand up people. Just exploring my options. If they respond positively I will gladly buy one and if not well I will look elsewhere. I never said the smokers weren't built well. Shipping 4 smokers and them all being damaged seems excessive to me. Packaging must suck though for that many to be damaged.

To answer your second question. Probably not. I could see one damaged or two even but all 4? Seems a bit Much.

You asked I answered. I think they should back him up but in reality I have no scratch in The game. So it's just my opinion and my option to not buy one based on that opinion. They could respond positively or Not. Since no response yet. I am not saying they won't be stand up people. Just exploring my options. If they respond positively I will gladly buy one and if not well I will look elsewhere. I never said the smokers weren't built well. Shipping 4 smokers and them all being damaged seems excessive to me. Packaging must suck though for that many to be damaged.

To answer your second question. Probably not. I could see one damaged or two even but all 4? Seems a bit Much.

Same guy that blamed snake river for a data breach with thousands of threads about cabinet smokers to help you without badmouthing a great company. Keep trolling.

There will probally be a claim on the shippers. If Humphrey's shipped they may file a claim, if he got his own shipping he will have to file a claim. This things take a lil Time. Expecting an email response about someone else's issue in 1 day- is a lil unrealistic........

Same guy that blamed snake river for a data breach with thousands of threads about cabinet smokers to help you without badmouthing a great company. Keep trolling.

I didn't bash snake river farms. I didn't start that thread even. To be clear they said they were going to offer some sort of credit monitoring so hats off to them. They took care of their people. All I said in the srf credit breach thread was that sometimes hackers will sell your info and it won't get used for awhile. I base that on what I was told when my company had a data breach. I never once said snake river farms was a bad company. I said in this day and age it happens. They should be commended for taking care of their people. I guarantee at some point I will buy from them because of how they handled the situation.

If saying a company has bad packaging and they should replace smokers is trolling you clearly have never seen a real troll.
I never called them names or anything. Wow the worst I said was the packaging sucked. Shame on me. Give me a break.

If I said they were poorly built junk and trash ok yeah I could see your point.
Which I am not saying at all. I said their packaging sucks and that 4 damaged smokers is absurd and they should replace them. If they don't well I just will look for another company to buy from. I never said don't buy from them they suck or anything of the sort. Their packaging sucks though. If that is the worst criticism I give that's really not terrible.

I didn't bash snake river farms. I didn't start that thread even. To be clear they said they were going to offer some sort of credit monitoring so hats off to them. They took care of their people. All I said in the srf credit breach thread was that sometimes hackers will sell your info and it won't get used for awhile. I base that on what I was told when my company had a data breach. I never once said snake river farms was a bad company. I said in this day and age it happens. They should be commended for taking care of their people. I guarantee at some point I will buy from them because of how they handled the situation.

If saying a company has bad packaging and they should replace smokers is trolling you clearly have never seen a real troll.
I never called them names or anything. Wow the worst I said was the packaging sucked. Shame on me. Give me a break.

If I said they were poorly built junk and trash ok yeah I could see your point.
Which I am not saying at all. I said their packaging sucks and that 4 damaged smokers is absurd and they should replace them. If they don't well I just will look for another company to buy from. I never said don't buy from them they suck or anything of the sort. Their packaging sucks though. If that is the worst criticism I give that's really not terrible.

That is they only logical post you have made in this thread. Take a step back and
realize that they obviously have good shipping or A) your buddy would not order from them and b) people would not wait weeks for smokers that usually or even often arrive damaged. When you see a company doing things the right way you want to stick up for them and there is no one doing a better job of the right way than humphreys.

Many times a Claim is made with the Shipper and the Dealer gets a credit or $ Back so he can Sell them Cheaper instead of the manufacturer eating of the cost of Shipping them back - Scratch n Dent Sale.......I bet Humphrey's takes care of Him after a Claim unless he got his own Shipping.......but We don't know All The Details..............

I'll buy a slightly damaged product is the discount is Decent....... :heh:

Last edited:
Many times a Claim is made with the Shipper and the Dealer gets a credit or $ Back so he can Sell them Cheaper instead of the manufacturer eating of the cost of Shipping them back - Scratch n Dent Sell.......I bet Humphrey's takes care of Him after a Claim unless he got his own Shipping.......but I don't know All The Details..............

I'll buy a slightly damaged product is the discount is Decent....... :heh:

I hope that is the case and he gets taken care of.
Normally I love to get a discount which he did offer me a discount. I turned it down because this is the big purchase for me. It is exactly what I want and seems to be a quality built product. I know it will get some scratches and dings on the way but I want it to be pristine when I buy it because I have waited so long and drooled over their smokers for years. I always buy scratch and dent but this time I want pristine. So I turned it down.
You can ask my wife. She said I looked like someone had shot my best friend.
Heck I like them So much I have had a pamphlet this guy gave me from a few years ago. Mind it doesn't have the Weekender in it but that's new this year.
I am not intending to upset anyone. I just think they would have taken better care of packaging them after all the hard work they put into making them.

They seem to be a stand up company. I bet all will be taken care of. Somebody is probably gonna get a heck of a deal on a smoker. I am with Smitty I wouldn't mind a couple scratches for a good discount. But I do understand wanting a brand new shiny one:) Another thing unless It was mentioned before they may not respond to your email because your not their customer, technically your buddy is. Good luck in your search tho and keep us posted :)

Back