Stepping up time for me

MasterTech

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Getting ready to take the plunge from my cheapo offset. I was thinking about building my own insulated vertical for the past few years, mulling plans over in my head and revising and then I came across Humphrey's Smokers and they looked pretty much what I had been planning. The major benefit of this is the R&D is already done and no plasma cutter to buy. On top of this, I found a localish place that sells them which also happens to be listed in the vendor area here (http://www.stlbbqstore.com).

I started off with thinking the BattleBox model might work, until I got to the store to see the different models. I quickly realized that it would be too small for what I was wanting. Minimally, I want to be able to do 2 full packer briskets plus other meats like pork loins at the same time. That moved me to the Pint, which was what I left the store as my leading choice based on $$$ and size. I look at a Down East Beast that was there too and would be at my upper end, but the more I keep thinking about it, the extra space would be good for sides as well like beans and I can't get trying some mac'n'cheese in there out of my head either. I have a family of 6 and plan to make extra and freeze for later meals. Pretty sure I may have at least one neighbor willing to pop some meat in there too at times if I have the room and "while I am at it", lol.

Where I'm currently at is going with the Down East Beast with 8" casters and back rails for transporting, keeping the drop in pan, side probe ports and possibly 1 stainless side handle and suggested by a Pint owner who did say the only thing he would have changed with his Pint was get a bigger size.

Just thought I would ask here before pulling that trigger. I'm 99.9% sure it will be either the Pint or the DEB due to the design and construction, the local customer support of the St. Louis BBQ Store (They were great when I was there to visit with my wife and daughter. They spent a good amount of time with me explaining without pushing, especially the owner which gave me hands on info on the units), the support from the Humphrey's home base in Maine and last but not least, my perceived value dollarwise. Any thoughts good or bad would be welcome!!

can't go wrong with a humphrey's. i also think having the extra space/capacity will come in handy some day. unlike an offset these insulated cabinets do not use much more fuel between pint and deb so fuel waste is minor when just doing a single piece of meat.

Hell Ya.! Pint is my Dream charcoal smoker. Several guys on here have Down East Beasts and several have bought from St Louis BBQ Store.

I lived in O'Fallon '83-86. 8-9-10th grade. My Dad was at Scott, left then came back to Scott and my sister graduated O'Fallon 10 years after I would have........ :loco:

Last edited:
can't go wrong with a humphrey's. i also think having the extra space/capacity will come in handy some day. unlike an offset these insulated cabinets do not use much more fuel between pint and deb so fuel waste is minor when just doing a single piece of meat.

That was one my my thoughts as well and cheaper to add the space now rather than later.

Hell Ya.! Pint is my Dream charcoal smoker.

I lived in O'Fallon '83-86. 8-9-10th grade. My Dad was at Scott, left then came back to Scott and my sister graduated O'Fallon 10 years after I would have........ :loco:

I probably missed you then. Moved here from NJ in '91. Huge changes here since that time.

I'd consider a 2nd stainless bar so your buddy has something to grab to help you lift it when you're transporting it. I figure that is the plan with the rear slide bars?
Otherwise, my Pint is on order from StL BBQ; 3-4 more weeks of waiting.

There is a gently used Pint for sale by a brethren in springfield. Only asking 1300. You should check it out!

If you want you can check out my DEB, I am just down the road from you in Troy. You can even come over for a test drive/smoke if you want. PM me if you would like to.

I'd consider a 2nd stainless bar so your buddy has something to grab to help you lift it when you're transporting it. I figure that is the plan with the rear slide bars?
Otherwise, my Pint is on order from StL BBQ; 3-4 more weeks of waiting.

I was thinking about those for sure, just wondering about clearance out the rear walk through door of the garage. Need to measure that for clearance as it would definitely be easier to go through there than around on the grass.

There is a gently used Pint for sale by a brethren in springfield. Only asking 1300. You should check it out!

Definitely one to think about. It doesn't have the rear rails I want or the larger casters though. I was just up there last night too!!

If you want you can check out my DEB, I am just down the road from you in Troy. You can even come over for a test drive/smoke if you want. PM me if you would like to.

Thank you!! I might take you up on that!! Just to take a bit of a peek in action. Mostly interested in the getting it fired up and warmup part. Planning on doing anything in the near future? Went through your neck of the woods twice yesterday on my way to Springfield and back.

Thank you!! I might take you up on that!! Just to take a bit of a peek in action. Mostly interested in the getting it fired up and warmup part. Planning on doing anything in the near future? Went through your neck of the woods twice yesterday on my way to Springfield and back.

Hmmm, let me know when you do that...I'll bring beer and we'll call it a Bash!
:clap2:

I use it once or twice a week. I am flexible so we can come up with a time that works. And, you will go home with some good food. I can definitely show you how I start it up, but it is easy.

I recently had the same dilemma. I went with the PINT with basically the same options you listed. I got the round bar stainless racks and am glad I did. I also have two probe ports, but I don't use them so probably would have left those off. It seems easier and more efficient just to close door on the probe cable. I keep mine strapped to the back of my porch trailer, but if I didn't I would want the angled legs for stability if you have the room. I spent two years reading, researching, and inspecting pit after pit at comps. I can honestly say I have never been happier with a purchase than I am with this pint. I light mine a little different and get some amazing time/temp control, so hit me up when you start playing with it! Good luck!

I use it once or twice a week. I am flexible so we can come up with a time that works. And, you will go home with some good food. I can definitely show you how I start it up, but it is easy.

I work M-F 8-5 and working on getting a dirt oval rc track ready for the season this Saturday, other than that I think I am pretty open for a little while. Don't plan just for me, but if you're going to have something going when I can get there, just let me know. I definitely appreciate your offer!! I'll send a pm with my phone number for a text or call.

I recently had the same dilemma. I went with the PINT with basically the same options you listed. I got the round bar stainless racks and am glad I did. I also have two probe ports, but I don't use them so probably would have left those off. It seems easier and more efficient just to close door on the probe cable. I keep mine strapped to the back of my porch trailer, but if I didn't I would want the angled legs for stability if you have the room. I spent two years reading, researching, and inspecting pit after pit at comps. I can honestly say I have never been happier with a purchase than I am with this pint. I light mine a little different and get some amazing time/temp control, so hit me up when you start playing with it! Good luck!

Did you get the stainless bars over the expanded steel shelves? The models just out now have wire type racks which I saw as a no brainer vs cleaning the expanded steel. I was kind of wondering about the angled legs for stability. Another thing to think about. I did get to see them on a Battle Box.

I was thinking about the ports and then using corks to plug them with the wires run through them to seal that up. I've been looking for awhile, but online and thought this design would just work best for me due to the insulation, cooking space and small footprint. I was going to build one myself until I saw the Humphrey's units and it was like he saw what was in my head, lol. Of course mine would not have looked as good when done and I'm sure there would have been much trial and error also. Thanks for the offer of info. I will definitely do that.

I have a DEB. I haven't found the probe ports to be worth it. Most thermo's will not fit thru easily. Then if you are using the probes at different levels you have to snake the probes thru the grates. Like mentioned, I just run the wires at the desired locations for the grates and close the door.
Since you are going to move the unit alot. The single 8" casters put the DEB at a good level for me(I'm 6'2"). No angled legs. But the DEB is very tippy for such a close/small foot print. I doubled up my wheels at each location using Harbor Freight 8" casters ($7ea.). 1/2" bolt/axle ! Not 5/8" like most 8" casters so just note. The original Humphrey's 8" are actually closer to 8.5" with the wheel/caster housing using a 1/2" bolt/axle. Dual wheels really makes a difference.
I also made my own coal basket, welded another handle on the ash tray. Now they pull/come out together. The original coal tray and ash tray can not come out together. Besides a few other mods.

Any questions, just ask. I have 2 different controllers. One works great (BBQ guru), the other doesn't work on my Humphrey's. My FLameBoss over shoots almost every time. And during a long cook you can not control/set any set temp and actually cook there. The fan runs way too much. Even 2 degrees below your set temp ( and altered set temp) and the fan still runs at 100%. POS IMHO. Constantly making you have to cook at higher and higher temps.
Over shooting your temp can take up to 1.5 hrs to come back down to temp if you let the Humphrey's come down on it's own. No open door stuff.
I've found that I mostly cook now without a controller.Though I bought the Humphrey's to use with a controller. Just easier. It runs just like my UDS. Except you have to watch the over shooting. Being insulated.

I for sure got the round bar stainless racks, they are a breeze to clean. You could do that with the probe ports. There is nothing really wrong with having them, but I would bet you end up just closing the door on the cable because it doesn't hurt anything and is easier..then you can use the port money for another upgrade.

The 8" casters are great for what I do, but it never comes of my porch. As you can see by another thread active now they do tip.

I am excited for you. I had the highest of high hopes and would be quick to say anything that didn't meet my expectations but they have all been exceeded.

Did you get the stainless bars over the expanded steel shelves? The models just out now have wire type racks which I saw as a no brainer vs cleaning the expanded steel. I was kind of wondering about the angled legs for stability. Another thing to think about. I did get to see them on a Battle Box.

I was thinking about the ports and then using corks to plug them with the wires run through them to seal that up. I've been looking for awhile, but online and thought this design would just work best for me due to the insulation, cooking space and small footprint. I was going to build one myself until I saw the Humphrey's units and it was like he saw what was in my head, lol. Of course mine would not have looked as good when done and I'm sure there would have been much trial and error also. Thanks for the offer of info. I will definitely do that.

Back