Ribs with Rib tips

dseskin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question for you please.

I am cooking for 80 people and can buy the ribs that come with rib tips, to not use the rib tips seems like a waste to me and additional cost for nothing-

My question is as follows:

1) Discard the rib tips entirely?
2) Should I separate the side ribs from the rib tips and cook separately?
2) Should I cook them together and slice as one?

Any ideas for making the rib tips if you think I should separate them

Thanks a million

Either do them whole or trim and marinade the tips in jerk seasoning before smoking.

For 80 people just cook the spares whole, nothing wrong with a properly cooked full spare.

I'm in the camp of trimming them and doing a separate cook with the tips. It'll be better serving something more uniform in St Louis cut.

Tips make for a mighty fine meal on their own.

And I assume I cook them together and treat them the same as st. Louise style
Yes cut the flap off, pull the membrane, remove any excess fat and cook them whole. If you are unsure cook up a slab as a test cook, the first time I did I was surprised at how well they turned out. I used to always take full spares, separate the Tips and cook St Louis style Ribs and Tips. Eat the St L's and pull the Tip meat off the bone for other cooks down the road. Lately I've been cooking Full Spares and I've been really happy with them.

I was suggesting to trim them all to St louis but keep the tips un cooked for a separate meal. Freeze them in the size batches you'll be using them.

I'm getting a pressure cooker and thinking adding some to baked beans would be pretty good. Tips slow smoked/grilled are awesome.

I'd cook 'em tips and all just like KevinJ said. I used to trim them but cook everything at the same time. Once I left them uncut because they were still frozen and my wife really dug them with the tips attached. So there you go, we now cook them uncut.

Since it is for a wedding I would trim them as they will present better. Cook the tips separate either at the same time or later. The tips are incredible and have many uses.

Since it is for a wedding I would trim them as they will present better. Cook the tips separate either at the same time or later. The tips are incredible and have many uses.

Having cooked for many weddings I agree with BillN completely, the presentation is a huge part of the meal. Good luck!

I'd separate them as others have said. If you are doing buffet service, you could cook both and have one platter/pan labeled St Louis ribs and another labeled Rib tips. People could then choose. Personally, I prefer the tips as that is where all the gelatinous goodness is.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'd cut my St. Louis out of them and use the tips in my beans.

No waste.

Generally speaking, the masses have no clue about cuts of meat. I guarantee if you dig around for feedback you will get "too fatty, gristle, etc" complaints if you serve the tips. People have no clue what they are eating, and don't realize that rib tips are essentially cartilage filled fatty cut offs from the ribs.

I personally would serve just the ribs, and keep the tips for other uses for myself. I get more requests for my beans than any other item, and rib tips is the secret ingredient.

Generally speaking, the masses have no clue about cuts of meat. I guarantee if you dig around for feedback you will get "too fatty, gristle, etc" complaints if you serve the tips. People have no clue what they are eating, and don't realize that rib tips are essentially cartilage filled fatty cut offs from the ribs.

I personally would serve just the ribs, and keep the tips for other uses for myself. I get more requests for my beans than any other item, and rib tips is the secret ingredient.

That's a good point. People that come to my cookouts have been educated on rib tips for the most part. :heh:

Back