sausage nite

gun smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
one of my buddies wanted to make some snack sticks we had no idea what we were doing first nite we got into some beer the second nite we smoked 85 lbs. we had a great time thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 0524162037.jpg
    0524162037.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 0524162203.jpg
    0524162203.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 0525162009.jpg
    0525162009.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 220
  • 0525162125.jpg
    0525162125.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 0525162146.jpg
    0525162146.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 221
Can you give us some details on the process? I am getting ready to buy a dedicated sausage stuffer, This is one thing on my list of things to make with it!

What temp did you smoke at? what kind of fuel did you use in the offset? I have a brand new vertical offset just wondering if you smoked it at high temps or low temp smoking like 150-170 degrees.

Did you use a cure in the snack sticks? Just any general details would be nice. It's been on my mind since I built my new smoker! Just haven't quite figured out the best way to approach it.

Doesn't get any better than that. Nice set up BTW. :thumb:

85 pounds! :shock:
I keep experimenting with these. I have a pellet pooper and it doesn't go below 180 which is often too high for a lot of the stick recipes.
But even "mistakes" aren't too bad.
Looks awesome, great job.

like to see the bun those go on.... Nice job

Can you give us some details on the process? I am getting ready to buy a dedicated sausage stuffer, This is one thing on my list of things to make with it!

What temp did you smoke at? what kind of fuel did you use in the offset? I have a brand new vertical offset just wondering if you smoked it at high temps or low temp smoking like 150-170 degrees.

Did you use a cure in the snack sticks? Just any general details would be nice. It's been on my mind since I built my new smoker! Just haven't quite figured out the best way to approach it.
I'm not an expert like I said we really didn't have a clue, I smoked at or around 200 but took my time getting it up there. I never put charcoal in my offset but I was a little worried about putting to much smoke on it (my friend is smoke sensitive) so I started with a 20lbs bag of kbb and used a little beech to keep it going. as far as cure it was just some high mountain kit from the store. stuffing those small casing was a pain in the a$$. hope this helps and I hope you have as much fun as we did.

I'm not an expert like I said we really didn't have a clue, I smoked at or around 200 but took my time getting it up there. I never put charcoal in my offset but I was a little worried about putting to much smoke on it (my friend is smoke sensitive) so I started with a 20lbs bag of kbb and used a little beech to keep it going. as far as cure it was just some high mountain kit from the store. stuffing those small casing was a pain in the a$$. hope this helps and I hope you have as much fun as we did.

I use the Hi-mountain stuff all the time. Still my favorite seasonings for jerky.

How did smoking at 200 work out? I was under the impression you would want no more than 150-170, But I don't see where 200 degree's would hurt.

I think I could easily manage 200 degree's in my new smoker. I haven't used charcoal in it, and probably would prefer not to. I'll be honest with you, I didn't like the flavor I got from my jerky using a charcoal snake in the WSM.

I would assume for a small fire like that, you probably would burn pretty small pieces of wood, Wonder if Running with the firebox door wide open would keep temps down in the main chamber? It'll be on my vertical offset. This thread has rekindled my interest at attempting to do this with a real wood fire in the my new smoker. Thanks!

"Some" snack sticks? Holy crap! Looks really cool all coiled up in the smoker. I bet that's going to be good! Nice job brother!

200 worked fine for me it took just over 2 1/2 hours I went to 165 it. I don't think having the fire door open helps keep the temp down a small fire will. another reason I went with charcoal is it burns cooler and even temp. I'm sure wood would have worked fine I'm not much or a drinker and still had a little spark nock from the nite before and knew charcoal would be easy.

Back