Need advice on current crop of smokers with $750 Budget

JayDee

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm in the market for a smoker and I have a $750 budget that comes with a caveat: The budget is born from cashing in credit-card reward points for gift cards. This limits me to Lowe's, Home-Depot, Bass Pro and Amazon as vendors.

I've currently got a cheap Walmart gasser (pretty much relegated to grilling chicken quarters); the big Weber Kettle (steak & burger machine) and a home-brewed UDS (butt, rib & brisket machine).

The UDS cooks very well, but is a pain to use if you need to refill a water pan, add wood or move meat around on the lower grate. So, I'm looking for a new option that can hold at least one big brisket without having to scrunch it any to cram it in. I'm not married to any particular type (vertical, offset, pellet, stick-burner) as long as it's wood (stick, chunk or pellet) and/or charcoal fueled.

I'm not afraid to modify a new smoker and can handle most anything that does not require welding or a lathe.

The UDS has been a fairly reliable "set & forget" smoker, but I also would not mind something that would require more "tending" during a cook. More "tending" appeals to me as it will give me an alibi from the "honey-do" list for at least every other hour or so during the cook (or as much as I can plausibly milk it).

Primary use is casual cooking for two to ten, although several times a year I could be cooking for up to 40.

I have not been paying attention to the current crop of smokers and would appreciate some advice on best bang for the buck. I'm currently leaning towards the Oklahoma Joe offset cooker from Lowe's so a sanity-check would be appreciated there. But, I'm also open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
-JD

22 weber smokey mountain. then get a cajun bandit accessories for it that should use up that $750 :biggrin1:

Ok Joe Longhorn not a bad choice given the options. Highlander is kinda small.

Weber Smokey mountain 22 inch on Amazon. For 399 dollars is a great smoker I had a Oklahoma off set smoker but it was way too much work for me to regulate temp I'm just not that good with a off set smoker you cannot find a better smoker that will last for years than a Weber hope this helps

Amazon sells Traeger pellet grills. I would get the biggest one you can afford. It would be perfect for the scenario you describe. Have fun shopping!

WSM or PBC :twisted:

Actually with your budget a 22 WSM and a PBC. Should amount to $750 exactly.

The UDS cooks very well, but is a pain to use if you need to refill a water pan, add wood or move meat around on the lower grate
Ditch the water pan it's not needed or leave it in empty as a diffuser, I'm assuming you are using charcoal in a basket and adding wood chunks for flavor, if so mix in the wood thought the basket no need to add more wood during a cook.

I'd say a WSM 22 but you will have the same issue with upper and lower grates, Academy Sports sells good smokers below your price point.

Sounds like a Pellet Pooper would be good to add to the arsenal. Trader and Green mountain are in your price wheelhouse. Just get one with a good controller.

As mentioned also, Bass Pro has Horizon stick burners if ya want something for fiddling with constantly.

I appreciate all the advice so far -- still looking and cogitating.

I am about to swear-off reading online reviews on Amazon. Judging by the reviews, every single smoker is both *awsometastic*!! as well as "absolute horrible junk*!! It seems when folks are passionate about something, opinions, expectations and demands vary *wildly*...

I'm thinking I want something that can hold at least two good-sized briskets and that pretty much points me towards an offset stick burner. Now I'm really wishing Academy was on my CC rewards program...

Givin the limitations Oky Joe Longhorn is your best bet. See if the Card Co. will give you a Prepaid Card for the points. My Discover card will all it takes is a quick call to CS. Then you can get an Over Under at Academy.

Actually, if you use a second rack, you can easily cook two briskets on a $700 pellet grill. If that is something you are interested in, I would go with the GMG just because the controller is better than Traeger.

I think I've decided on this one at the big orange toolbox and I don't overshoot the budget too terribly bad:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RiverGrille-Rancher-s-Grill-in-Black-SC2162901-RG/204930046

It's fairly heavy for the price, I like the double doors, no seams to caulk/gasket (except the doors) and the firebox is big and *square* and can hold a bigger charcoal basket with some dividers to "snake" the burn.

So I'll need to fab a heat distribution plate, the charcoal basket and a temp-probe port and possibly gasket the doors.

Back