Ahh ha moment with Pizza on the Egg (Rambling and Pron)

1_T_Scot

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok I think I just figured out a something that I should have realized long ago. I got home early from work today and my wife and I were going to get caught up on yardwork so we decided on "Take and Bake" Pizza on the egg.

I filled the egg and then lit it.

I proceeded to mow and trim the yard. I checked on the egg a few times after about 5 minutes I put the plate setter in and the Pizza stone. I left the vents open and went on with yard work. For probably 45 minutes the egg preheated.

I don't usually cook take and bakes ultra hot I try to keep it around 425-250. I cooked it for about 10 minutes and it was great! I usually have a hard time getting the top done without burning the bottom.

I am thinking that all the time preheating helped the ceramic all get hot and radiate heat from the top as well as the stone from the bottom. Am i correct to think there is more to Ceramic temp than the dome temp?

I remember my boss when I worked in a pizza place always turned the ovens on as soon as he opened the door.

Pizza3-1.jpg

Pizza1-1.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pics. I tried using an Iphone instead of my camera.

I have to agree with you. We recently started letting the Egg and stone heat up for a half hour or so - (cause yeah - read it here...) much better!!!.

Nice. I've found that the BGE stone also works well on a kettle grill if you're ever stuck. That beats take out any day.

Thanks I'm glad you could see the point of my post with my rambling on. It's hard sometimes to be patent enough to let it preheat.

I am no Egghead, but, that is a good looking pizza. I do happen to believe that a heavy walled oven with heat coming from all sides is best for baking and pizza is baking.

that's why the second pizza is always better... more time to heat up the ceramics

You are correct sir...:p I usually let mine come up to temp for about an hour before doing pizzas. I do Papa Murphy take-n-bakes all the time...they turn out great! :p

I did a WalMart take home last night on my BGE. These are the pizzas located by the deli section of the store. They are not frozen and we have found that they really are pretty good. Cost is about $6-7 for a 12 inch. I hate to admit it but I've been using the plate setter as my "stone". I tried using a stone on top of the plate setter...wasn't happy with that. Anyway thats the way I do it down on the Gulf Coast.

I did a WalMart take home last night on my BGE. These are the pizzas located by the deli section of the store. They are not frozen and we have found that they really are pretty good. Cost is about $6-7 for a 12 inch. I hate to admit it but I've been using the plate setter as my "stone". I tried using a stone on top of the plate setter...wasn't happy with that. Anyway thats the way I do it down on the Gulf Coast.

Try using the BGE feet between the plate setter and the stone...works great! :biggrin:

IMG_6831.jpg

IMG_6833.jpg

I do pizzas on my NB Offset. As long as you don't get too hot (I stay at 350), the bottom and top will be done about the same time.

Oh man, that last one put me over the top. Pizza for dinner tonight. Thanks Rick

All of this good looking pizza and I bet nobody delivers. :cry: Looks Mmmmm good!:-D

If you don't have an extra set of feet you can use steel spacers. I have a friend that made me 3 3/4" tall by 1" round slugs (stainless steel but, any would work) The 3/4" gap between the Plate setter and stone seems like enough.

The Pizza that is in the picture is a Wal-Mart take and bake. I just get the pepperoni and precook the pepperoni (takes some of the grease out) then add my own Green Pepper and Onion. Then on the Egg.

Back