First Big Cook....

JMack

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Cooking for a bunch of the neighbors this weekend.

Just stopped and grabbed 19lbs of pork shoulder to make a mess of pulled pork. Salt will go on tomorrow for a dry brine, then the rub on Friday to give a little while to settle in. Planning on putting it on the UDS between 4 and 5 am on Saturday, hoping to have it ready by 4 pm.

We'll see how this goes. Any last minute advice?

Have the cooler and towels ready so you can pull when ready since the all won't be ready at the same time.

I've got the cooler and towels. I've got the rub and the sauce. Thermometer amd smoker are ready.

Just have to get the nerve to do this.

Cooking for a bunch of the neighbors this weekend.

Just stopped and grabbed 19lbs of pork shoulder to make a mess of pulled pork.

We'll see how this goes. Any last minute advice?

Just have to get the nerve to do this.

It's BBQ, not rocket surgery.

You'll be fine! It's 19 lbs of butts. I'm doing 40 lbs of chicken thighs and 100 lbs of pork butts this weekend, all on WSMs.

Relax! You've got the Brethren behind you.

That thermometer is going to take ya left field, put it back in the drawer

Started the fire about 430 this morning. Butts have been on for a little over 5 hours. Currently sitting at 154 degrees with the cooker running 250-275. How am I looking for a 5 pm meal?

We like pics :) They make us hungry and then off we go to play with our meats and eat ...

I think you are looking pretty good, just remember with pork butt if you think you are running late you can crank up the temp to 325 to 350 without effecting the finished product.

2G6w4r

You'll be fine, you can always foil it around 160-170ish and it will shoot right up to pull temp in no time. Like another poster said if you wanna crank up the heat...go for it! It will blow through the stall if you're not foiling.

I did a butt overnight with no foil for a 1PM get together this afternoon and it was done by 10am (12 hours on total). Put it in the cooler and took it out at 1:30pm to pull. It pulled like butter with just tongs in about 30 seconds. Overnight temps ranged from 230-300 and settled in around 275 for the last 4 hours.

I guess my point is pork butts are hard to fark up unless you undercook. I've never had one not pull easily after an hour or two rest in foil taking them to 200 IT.

I know you're enjoying your get together by this point as your butts are probably perfect, lets see some finished pics when you're all done and cleaned up.

You'll be fine, you can always foil it around 160-170ish and it will shoot right up to pull temp in no time. Like another poster said if you wanna crank up the heat...go for it! It will blow through the stall if you're not foiling.

I did a butt overnight with no foil for a 1PM get together this afternoon and it was done by 10am (12 hours on total). Put it in the cooler and took it out at 1:30pm to pull. It pulled like butter with just tongs in about 30 seconds. Overnight temps ranged from 230-300 and settled in around 275 for the last 4 hours.

I guess my point is pork butts are hard to fark up unless you undercook. I've never had one not pull easily after an hour or two rest in foil taking them to 200 IT.

I know you're enjoying your get together by this point as your butts are probably perfect, lets see some finished pics when you're all done and cleaned up.

^^^^ This sounds just about like a common timing here......

Just rotate the timing forward & add it up......if any thinking needs to be done.......it will come out just fine & it would seem in plenty of time......

Back