Advise needed for wireless Temp probe

Friction33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've seen on here that some of you use a wireless type of temp probe that I'm guessing you use an app with it for use on your phone. I'm looking for any feedback good and bad. Pros and cons on them. I want to purchase one but don't want to get a bad one. Or are they not worth it. Tnx guys

I guess most people ,including me are using maverick thermometers, I have an older model which works great for a while now and I heard a lot good about them. They don't use your phone but have a separate reciever which shows two temps usually smoker and food. I also thought about one that works with an app but the ones I found use Bluetooth to connect and that cuts down the range between phone and smoker too much for me.

Yeah, most guys are using the Maverick line, but they have a dedicated remote, not an app. As Mr.OiSat mentioned, the ones that work with an iPhone or Android are typically Bluetooth. The Thermoworks BlueTherm Duo is the cream of the crop at $240 but it gets excellent reviews.

I have the iGrill2 from iDevices and it also works well and will handle 4 probes and those can be a mix of pit probes or meat probes. I have only used my at competitions and it is fine all around a typical competition spot. I've been 50 feet away with no problem. I'll play with it at home this winter.

I also have an older Maverick that worked great until we upgraded the windows in the house to the low-E windows that have a metallic film. That killed the signal on the Maverick inside the house.

The BBQ Guru guys have the CyberQ Wifi which is a fan controller for pit temp as well as a temperature monitor and it will work on a wifi network. I have one that I use once in a while and it works fine. Some guys have had problems getting it connected to their home network, but I haven't had that problem.

I have a maverick 733. It's nice to have, the best feature is I can tell the pit temp from the couch. I got by at first with a probe thermometer and a pit thermometer just fine.

Mine is the maverick ET-732. Dual probes - either two meats or one in the meat and one for the pit temp. I absolutely love it, and am planning on giving it a workout on Thanksgiving. I use my big log-burner and I gotta tell you it is so nice sitting on the couch and watching the TV and the thermo without having to keep running back and forth.

The Mav has all sorts of settings for all sorts of exotic meats, but I have never used that feature. Mostly I watch the thermo and take my Q off when it reaches the temp I want. I'd go buy it again.

I also got a Thermoworks thermometer with the remote cabled probe (not wireless), and I really like it as well and will be using it also on Thursday, but just to keep an eye on the extra turkey.

Last edited:
I have a maverick 733. It's nice to have, the best feature is I can tell the pit temp from the couch. I got by at first with a probe thermometer and a pit thermometer just fine.

Up until a year ago I never used a meat thermometer, went by look and feel. My pit thermometer was my hand on the lid 1-2-3-ouch was the temp I maintained. After getting a Maverick 732, I found out 1-2-3-ouch was 325*. Been cooking hot and fast briskets all my life and had no clue. I thought ALL briskets were done in 7 hours.

I have the cyberq from bbq guru. With the new firmware it is much easier to connect to the network but I never had a problem doing it in the first place. I use it beyond my smoker, when cooking a turkey for example I use it without the fan to monitor the temp of the bird and oven. I can control my pit from work and receive emails from my bbq guru when a alarm is activated. The only thing I would like to try beyond the cyberq is to build a Heatermeter.

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-HeaterMeter-DIY-BBQ-Controller

The BBQ GURU DX2 is another great temp. controller. Set it and forget it. I like my Maverick 732 on quick cooks, batteries last forever.

I too have the Maverick 733. The company boast a range of 300'. I've never tested that distance but I have no problem at all monitoring inside or outside my home. Great tool and not too expensive.

I heard there is a law that you can't use a cell phone and BBQ at the same time. But then who would even think about it? :crazy:

Back