WSM Corned Beef Ruben sandwhich questions???

Vince B

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
With St Patty's day just passing I have purchased a few corned beef flats and points. Today I was planning on smoking a slab of ribs and have one of these CB's defrosted. I wanted to make one and its been a while since I have tossed one on the wsm. It seems that some take and soak them over night to get some of the salt out of them and use a pastrami rub on them. I'm not a bit fan of lots of pepper and it seems that is the main ingredient. So my question is how are you guys smoking this kind of cut and what do you normally rub it with? Also those of use that make Rubens lets here how you do it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. TIA Vince

If you smoke a corned beef brisket, you basically get pastrami! Here is a good thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39548

I do my reubens very traditionally, rye bread w/ russian dressing, saurkraut, swiss cheese and of course, corned beef all put together and grilled in a frying pan. I usually preheat my kraut and corned beef to ensure a nice, hot, finished product.

Well thanks for the idea's. I soaked the small point I had for a couple hours and then cleaned up some of the fat. As I was doing this I realized that there was actually what looked like as small piece of flat combined with the point. I took and separated these two pieces and decided to cook them this way. I then went against the grain and used the spice package. Took it and tossed in the old coffee grinder and made a rub with it. Sprinkled both pieces pretty good and then tossed the two cuts on the wsm. One of which @ 165* is in foil with some Becks and the other is waiting to come up to temp. I'm going to cook both pieces for a couple hours foiled then cool and slice tomorrow for sandwiches. Have to see how it comes out and will plan a little better next time around. Vince

DSC07393a.jpg

I like Reuben pizzas. A little thousand island first, some kraut, cheese, onion and either pastrami or corned beef. Serve it up with mustard and pickle.​

Back