New York City

ButchB

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Gonna go on a mini vacation to New York and looking for some recommendations to eat t while there. For steak, I wanna try smith & wollinsky, for BBQ I was thinking about Southern Hospitality. Any other ideas?

Adam Perry Lang

I would try Daisy May's. I've not been, but if its half as good as his book, Serious Barbecue, you are in for a treat.

Eric

For steak... go to Keen's or Spark's unless you're willing to go over the bridge to Brooklyn and go to Peter Luger's

http://www.keens.com/

http://sparkssteakhouse.com/

for BBQ... check out Gary's great site called pigtrip... he's reviewed them all... Daisy May's is not the best for NY. Mighty Quinn's is probably the best in Manhattan right now unless you head over the bridge to Brooklyn. SOuthern Hospitality is not worth a visit, especially for BBQ.

http://www.pigtrip.net/Directory-main.htm#NYC

Go to Chinatown and eat there, have dessert in Little Italy

Try pastrami sandwich from Katz Deli and pizza from Motorino ... If you want Italian.. try Becco on Restaurant Row (owned by Lydia the PBS cook)

stay away from the corporate touristy restaurants in Times Square.. there are too many others that are worth your time and money, especially if you want to try different international type foods.

i will get on the Becco bandwagon too, but ask to sit in the back room if you want a quiet dinner. had a bad experience with a rude foul mouthed girl in the tavern area, which in general was not good for dining.

... like MilitantSquatter said, Little Italy and NoLita have plenty, there are a bunch of good places on and around Mulberry street... Lombardi's, for pizza, Habana for Mexican cobs (you gotta try those!). Katz deli is excellent!
I don't know about steak houses, they're ok but waaay ovepriced! Peter Luger is not what it used to be, seems to me is pure business nowadays. Old Homestead is good - and expensive.
Chinatown has a joint at every corner - assuming you're adventurous you can try new dishes but you might never know how they're called in English or what are they :)
Avoid Midtown - they're for tourists... not bad but you won't get your money worth..

For steaks I like and recommend Wolfgang's or Del Fresco's. I think Katz deli has the best pastrami in the country. Carmine's is good for Italian. Definitely Chinatown for Chinese food. Houston's is a chain but a really good one, try either the ribs or ribeye and definitely get the brownie sundae, it's unbelievable.

It might be me but I didn't like the food at Becco's at all.

I have to admit - I thought Southern Hospitality was pretty solid. We were staying within a mile of the place, so it was an easy stop. It was nothing earth-shattering, but much better Q than I would have expected. We did the dry/wet ribs sampler - came with a few bones of dry rubbed spare ribs and a few bones of wet/glazed baby backs. Good flavor, good smoke. Nice bark on both actually.

Added a couple slices of the brisket, which was OK, but I probably wouldn't order it on its own.

By far the best meal we had in NYC was at the Carnegie Deli. Pastrami sammies as big as your head. Katz was good but Carnegie was great.

I'm going to say skip Southern Hospitality and make your way over to Mighty Quinns. I tried them out for lunch one Saturday afternoon after reading a rave review in Newsday. Their Brisket was second to none...
Fletchers BBQ in Brooklyn. Matt is a dynamic pitmaster and servers up some amazing lamb ribs.

I'm going to say skip Southern Hospitality and make your way over to Mighty Quinns. I tried them out for lunch one Saturday afternoon after reading a rave review in Newsday. Their Brisket was second to none...
Fletchers BBQ in Brooklyn. Matt is a dynamic pitmaster and servers up some amazing lamb ribs.

Fletchers in Gowanus brooklyn. Real easy to get to and his burnt endz are the best in the city. He is a brethren too. So say hello.

I haven't been to Quinns yet, my vote is for Blue Smoke, and get the brisket, or pulled pork, or both ;)

For steaks my favorite so far is Harrys downtown, my friend recently raved about Bobby Flay's Bar American steak though, and he's been to almost every good steak place in the city.

Back