BBQ'ing some Pastrami

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
3 week dry cure, rinsed, patted dry. Fresh application of rub. 2 days in the fridge on a rack exposed to the air to form a crusty pellicle.

6nutti.jpg

BBQ'ing at 275F with some pecan.

Looking good so far!

CrystalBall1.gif
I see some pastrami Ruebens in your future!

What did you use in the dry cure and what's in the rub?

Good start Jennifer! ....even though your using that "cylindrical cooker" ;)

Hows Antonio working out for ya?

Looking good so far!

CrystalBall1.gif
I see some pastrami Ruebens in your future!

What did you use in the dry cure and what's in the rub?

The dry cure is 3% salt, 1% brown sugar & .25% cure #1 (all percentages of the weight of the meat).. and then the curing augment was 3 parts coriander seed, 2 parts black pepper, 1 part garlic powder (as much as would stick to it).

Then after the 3 week cure, and rinsing & patting dry dry, I added the same augment (alone) to it, as much as it would take (i.e. 3 parts coriander, 2 parts pepper, 1 part garlic).

I was wondering where you been...... figured you were in Jail or something...........:shock:

Oh yes do tell

Ok, well here is a photo of the pastrami just out of the smoker at an internal temp of around 165F:

2s1kgsz.jpg

I finished it inside in my big gas oven at 275F, covered, until an internal temp of 185F. Then I pulled out and loosely tented with foil and cooled down enough to put in zip locks and threw in the fridge.

I took a few slices.. they tasted great! The rub really worked deep into the meat I guess over that time frame. I was gonna go a full month like that famous NY deli (katz ? I forget the name) but got impatient lol. I'll slice it up tomorrow when it is cold and quickly steam the slices in a tablespoon of water or so for the sandwich.. then I'll snap a photo of the sandwich.

Next time I am gonna do this with brisket point and flat. (an entire one). Have always been doing it with this beef clod heh. The tendons get old.

Good start Jennifer! ....even though your using that "cylindrical cooker" ;)

Hows Antonio working out for ya?

Giggle.

I haven't used Antonio since that late night 11 hour pork butt cook.. maintaining an offset fire that long is probably too much for me. BUt I did start it too late in the day that day.

Looks great! I've gotten to the point, pun intentded, where I only make pastami from brisket point. It is so much better than round or brisket flat. If you buy around Saint paddies day you can get a great deal on corned beef brisket point...

This is one of my favorite things to do on my smoker :icon_smile_tongue:

Ok here is some sliced up:

2z3ur15.jpg

This is the best pastrami I've made so far. The flavor is intense (coriander, black pepper & garlic powder) due to the 3 week cure.. Mmmm.

yes that looks mighty tastey! can only imagine how good that tastes with some corse deli mustard on some rye bread.

IIRC i showed you how i like to make reubens....i'll take one of those plz! :hungry:

IIRC i showed you how i like to make reubens....i'll take one of those plz! :hungry:

Just made a Pastrami Reuben :) The way I make it is.. "open face grilled cheese in butter" .. cheese on both slices.. on medium.. wait until cheese is melted a bit.. smear with dressing on both sides.. lay heated up (steamed briefly) pastrami slices on one side, strained saurkraut on the other.. then fold over.. mash a bit.. flip .. brown exterior perfectly.. and enjoy yumminess :)

You liked the steaming idea from this i think.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQEF3i4w624"]How to make a Reuben Sandwich - YouTube[/ame]

Back