Another Brisket Try

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All I'm giving Brisket another try. Looks like the flat has some nice marbling? This time just a 2.25 lb flat. Injected with beef broth,sitting in the fridge till tomorrow. Going to wrap in BP with some broth at 150*. Most of my brisket/packer tries have come tasty & tender but on the dry side. I'm hoping the injection , will change this.
Also have a 4 lb butt and a rack of St. Louie, plus 2 lbs of home made fresh sausage.. Butt was injected with Apple juice & SM Sweet Seduction. Should be fun.:wink:
DanB

Last edited:
I hate to burst your bubble but injecting and braising will not make it moist you need to cook it to probe tender and it will be moist. Paper aint water proof.

I hate to burst your bubble but injecting and braising will not make it moist you need to cook it to probe tender and it will be moist. Paper aint water proof.

I agree with BluDawg....
A brisket which is not cooked until probe tender will seem dry and tough, whereas an overcooked will fall apart and be mushy.

SO to add insult to injury,
$5.99 / lb is highway robbery.
I am constantly amazed at people
who come to this site
and do some of the complete opposite things
despite the experience of experts.
Inject away, ye lads....

Well, as a counterpoint...

Injecting will not prevent a poorly cooked piece of meat from being poorly cooked. But, it does provide a small margin for error, and if you use a brisket injection, such as comp cooks, it does improve moisture. But, the OP used beef broth, still, it was not useless. The same goes for paper, it does improve surface texture and aids in moisture retention. It does not prevent under-cooking, and underdone meat will always be underdone.

If I buy brisket at the grocery store, it runs me over $5.99 a pound, especially for a small chunk of flat. I don't know New Jersey pricing, but, that is not highway robbery around here.

We all cook differently, and there are many experts who do not probe, who cook to internal temperature and have their own methods. Give it a try and let us know how it turned out.

Flats are hard to justify. The price per pound is too much. A packer trimmed of the point and fat would probably still be cheaper per pound. Packers can be hard to find in some areas. Maybe a NJ brethren could suggest a source.

Looking forward to the results

smoker

Hi All I've smoked till probe tender before with the same results..Tried both Hot N Fast and Low n Slow, with the same outcome,tender/teasy but on the dry side. I got noithing lose by injecting?
They all in in the smoker.
Brisket and Butt at 300*
Ribs n sausage at 250*
Will post back with results.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with injecting a brisket flat imo.

What I would recommend is wrapping it in foil around 165 IT or so and adding some beef broth to the foil. Continue cooking until probe tender is reached.

Reserve the juice and serve the slices in some of the juice.

I bet you will be happy with the results.

Brisket Prices

Hi I use to get my brisket/packers at Restaurant Depot $3.99 for CAB,$3.50 IPB.
This time I wanted to try a smaller size, with injecting and came across this flat with some nice marbling. Local supermakets are usually $5.99/$6.99.
Going to wrap at 165* with some beef broth and rub=Montreal Steak seasonings. Then probe till it feels like butter.
Thanks Dan

Brisket Results

Brisket was in the smoker at 11am temp it temp was 250-275, afer 4 hrs IT 165*was wrapped in foil with beef broth and some rub.
Probed tender at 5:45/2 hrs-45 min in foil..IT was 208. Came out tasty and tender , but still on the dry side, used the juice in foil to add some moisture to it.Not a bad dinner.
The ribs came out good..Pork Butt is still whole in the fridge. Going to heat and pull later today.
Thanks DanB

Last edited:
Dan,

I'm far from an expert and this may be a dumb question, but are you letting the meat rest before carving?

Last brisket I did was the same size, smoked at 250*, no injection. Foiled at 165* and pulled at 201*. Wrapped in towels and put in a cooler for 3 hours. Took 9 hours on the smoker, when sliced it was really moist.

Not sure how long you let it rest but maybe try pulling it off of the smoker in the 198* to 201* range. Sounds like you did everything right.
Joe

I try and stay away from briskets for two reasons- the costs and I suck at cooking them.
I don't have a lot of experience in cooking briskets so I am no help. But the best one I cooked and it was still wasn't great was hot and fast. I don't like to wrap as that ruins the bark.
I rather the taste of butts but now they are almost the same price per lb here.
I also want to add that when I cooked the few briskets low and slow, they came out dry. I cooked until probe tender (which was about 202), wrapped in towels and coolered for two hours and when sliced they were dry.
The one I cooked hot and fast was more moist but not like I wanted.

Last edited:
I can't be sure, but the slices look like you may have sliced with the grain instead of against it. That really does make a big difference in the tenderness.

:bow:
Moist don't mean squirtin like a Water pistol in your mouf or oozin juices it means well rendered with the Internal temp over 190 and under 215 this is where the magic happens when the collagen melts converting to gelatin. Allowed to cool slowly the gelatin resides in the spaces where the collagen was. That is as moist as it gets.

Dan,

I'm far from an expert and this may be a dumb question, but are you letting the meat rest before carving?
The brisket was rested in open foil till the IT was 155*

I can't be sure, but the slices look like you may have sliced with the grain instead of against it. That really does make a big difference in the tenderness.
It was slice across the gain.It was fork tender.
Thanks DanB
PS looking into prime briskets now

Don't take it the wrong way but it aint the pit its the pit master.

Back