• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Score these boxes and critique please

W

Woodreaux BBQ

brisket.jpg

pork.jpg

rib.jpg

Chickenbox.jpg

bluehog.jpg

hum...where to start.
Brisket - Slices look too dry and box is messy. Score 6..maybe 7.
Pork - Again, the box is a wreck. It looks like you didn't take time for placement.. Score 5 or 6.
Ribs - ribs don't look too bad. might want to spray with AJ to give it a shine. score 6 to 8.
Chicken. Looks pretty good but hard to tell from a distance. score 6 to 8.

The biggest thing I noticed that would drive the score down was the greens. I know you don't score on greens but if it looks like the greens are tossed in the box..ie, stems up, wilted... then it's going to draw away from the meat.

hum...where to start.
Brisket - Slices look too dry and box is messy. Score 6..maybe 7.
Pork - Again, the box is a wreck. It looks like you didn't take time for placement.. Score 5 or 6.
Ribs - ribs don't look too bad. might want to spray with AJ to give it a shine. score 6 to 8.
Chicken. Looks pretty good but hard to tell from a distance. score 6 to 8.

The biggest thing I noticed that would drive the score down was the greens. I know you don't score on greens but if it looks like the greens are tossed in the box..ie, stems up, wilted... then it's going to draw away from the meat.

Pretty much what he said. Largely, all the boxes look as though messy
and greenery just thrown in. Too much greenery, IMHO. Also, while I'm
not certain (has more to do with taste), it's possible that the pork has
too much sauce (overpowering the meat). I wouldn't take off of
appearance for this, but it's probable that the volume of sauce will
overpower the meat.

Ribs, definitely the best box. Shine might help, but not a lot. If you
dont like the taste with a little apple juice glisten, go without it...

Brisket: Is that an eclipse? I can't tell if there are 6 identifiable slices of brisket, but assuming they are..they look very dry and unappealing next to the glistening burnt ends. 6
Pork: 6 It looks like you were in a hurry and threw the shredded pork in the box
Ribs: 6 They are not that bad, I would have tried line them up a little more evenly, and probably sauce the sides to cover up the jagged cuts.
Chicken: 6

I'd look for bushier parsley, and pack the boxes tighter with it, again a lot of stems showing, making it look like they were thrown on.

Brisket - meat looks very dry. 5
Pork - meat looks ragged and all messy and stringy. 6
Ribs - poor cuts, decent color 6
Chicken - best looking box there 7

Not being harsh, just being honest. Keep practicing and you will get it.

Brisket - How many slices are in there? Assuming there are at least 6, I'd give it a 5-6. The burnt ends look OK, but the slices look like they were cooked last week. Spray with a little water for moister look.

Pork - Take your time arranging the meat. The slices in the back are just as sloppy as the rest of the box. 5-6

Ribs - Not too bad. I like bones pointed up. Again, spray with water to make them shine. 7

Chicken - Like the rib box, not too bad. The messy greens do detract from the meat though. 7

Brisket 5-6 looks dry and the greens are disheveled
Pork 6 appears thrown together
Ribs 6 Need a better knife for cleaner slices
Chicken 6-7 best box

In all cases you need to work on your putting greens. Should look like a well maintained golf course versus a course that was abandoned.

Keep working, you have a base point!

I'm agreeing with ^^^ I do like the brisket chunks, dry looking brisket
Pork over sauced
Chicken looks good
Ribs need better cut job, but close
I didn't look at the greens at 1st but they are every which way

I would just suggest to get a little more involved with detail. Make things look moist even if they are not.

On a good note for you. Your brisket only finished 3 spots behind mine. Mine looked a little different though....

Thanks for all the comments so far. The parsley was my first attempt and i do need help. I will try Paul's 7 minute box or his parchment box. Now for the surprise
scores
ribs
887 888 876 977 876 888
pork
978 887 776 778 977 981
brisket
877 877 977 987 999 966
chicken
788 989 987 989 988 888

WOW! :shock:. I'd like to run into judges that giving. Nice work :clap: but keep working at those putting greens.

Trust me... Those judges were not that forgiving at this contest.. They bombed my brisket and that was my best category for the day. They scored me high in pork and I didn't deserve a 3rd place. It was mushy. I guess I maybe have better plating skills than I thought. Because my pork was garbage.

So on any given day...

BTW, It was in Columbus, Mississippi.

What % was CBJ's?
I agree with the others, nothing there better than a 7.
Lucky table maybe cause i woulda figured Scottie for all perfect scores judging like that. :heh:

100% CBJ's...

I did get all 9's for my presentations last weekend.... :shocked: I just wish those other scores hadn't popped up on my score sheets. But I guess that is BBQ. We don't complain when they over score us... So no complaints by me... As it was a very good contest. One that I would make the drive back for.

What % was CBJ's?
I agree with the others, nothing there better than a 7.
Lucky table maybe cause i woulda figured Scottie for all perfect scores judging like that. :heh:

Thanks for all the comments so far. The parsley was my first attempt and i do need help. I will try Paul's 7 minute box or his parchment box. Now for the surprise
scores
ribs
887 888 876 977 876 888
pork
978 887 776 778 977 981
brisket
877 877 977 987 999 966
chicken
788 989 987 989 988 888

WOW! :shock:

I was just figuring that region scored high. I think the GC was 692... Honestly, looking at my individual scores, you would of thought it was good enough for GC and not 6th place... I quit looking at my scoresheet and started to concentrate on my next contest... The GAB 6 weeks away... :doh:

Back