Help - why are my chicken parts done so quickly?

somevelvet

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Everywhere I read says to smoke chicken parts at about 275, for 2-3 hours.

Today I smoked a bunch of thighs and drumsticks at that temp, and after an hour, they were already up to 175 degrees!

I'm using a WSM and the thermometer seems pretty well-calibrated. I don't get it! What should I do—I'm concerned about getting enough smoke on 'em. Do I put them back and deal with the fact that they'll be severely overcooked?

Any advice?

Thanks!

My first question was are you sure your thermos on your cooker and the one on your chicken are calibrated correctly?

I wouldn't put them back on the cooker if they are really done. It doesn't take a lot of smoke for chicken to pick it up.

I've been doing mine at 350+ and they're done in less than an hour. Taste guud too :)

Good to know! I guess it's not the end of the world if my grate temp is higher... I wonder how much higher it is, tho.

Odds are your grate temp was a bit higher than 275, but even so...chicken halves take only about 60-90 minutes at 300.

And these were smaller parts... so it makes sense? I've just been seeing stuff all over the net saying 2 hours min... so I freaked. But I guess that's people smoking them at 220ish.

An inexpensive oven thermometer
oven_thermometer.JPG

on the grate will tell you what the actual grate temp is for a given dome temp. Or a candy thermometer will work, if you have one.

How long do you usually do whole chickens? Last I tried, it was done about 90 minutes in.

If they are done, they are done irregardless of time.

You might want to take notes for the future and double check your actual grate temp since it might impact the cooking of other meats.

TIM

I like to cook chicken around 300. Meat temps breasts 165, thighs 180. And their done in about an hour.

i got 5 of these lil' buggers & after years, they are all still pretty accurate & within 10 degrees of each other.....
Set them in, get things to where you want & add food....in most all cases.....

10-8-13PTampBrisket023.jpg

right at Meat Level (<<Technical term)

^^^ I started with one of those buckie. They do work.

As stated no need to cook chicken low, not much advantage, actually better high heat. 350+ indirect works fine and gets dinner done faster.

Back