Advice on rib tenderness

ITBFQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey brethren! I'm looking for any advice on improving tenderness scores for ribs.

I think I have my rib cooking process down pretty solid - here's a brief overview. I cook spares on my UDS at 265. I use Royal Oak briquettes, some fruit wood, and run with a diffuser on the bottom rack. I cook them for 2 hours 15 minutes meat side up, flip meat side down, baste, cook for another hour, and then wrap for an hour with the usual goodies in the wrap. After coming out of the wrap, they are placed on a baking rack, sauced, and back on the UDS to set the sauce. Then sliced, sampled, boxed and turned in.

Appearance scores are usually 8s and 9s, and I know what I need to do to improve there. Tenderness is where I usually score more 8s than 9s (sometimes a 7 or two), and I've read here that when tenderness scores go up, so will taste scores.

So, does anyone have any advice on what I can do to bump up those tenderness scores a bit? Any and all tidbits of information are appreciated. I'm not looking for a free class or anything like that, but if you notice something in my procedure that could be improved upon, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

try using the 3-2-1 method, cook for 3 hours meat up, wrap for 2, and then baste and put back on for 1 more, when i go back on i put it meat down, but thats just me, they come out very consistant and you get a clean bit

Edit, when i use this method i run 220 to 225 for the entire duration

Hey brethren! I'm looking for any advice on improving tenderness scores for ribs.

I think I have my rib cooking process down pretty solid - here's a brief overview. I cook spares on my UDS at 265. I use Royal Oak briquettes, some fruit wood, and run with a diffuser on the bottom rack. I cook them for 2 hours 15 minutes meat side up, flip meat side down, baste, cook for another hour, and then wrap for an hour with the usual goodies in the wrap. After coming out of the wrap, they are placed on a baking rack, sauced, and back on the UDS to set the sauce. Then sliced, sampled, boxed and turned in.

Appearance scores are usually 8s and 9s, and I know what I need to do to improve there. Tenderness is where I usually score more 8s than 9s (sometimes a 7 or two), and I've read here that when tenderness scores go up, so will taste scores.

So, does anyone have any advice on what I can do to bump up those tenderness scores a bit? Any and all tidbits of information are appreciated. I'm not looking for a free class or anything like that, but if you notice something in my procedure that could be improved upon, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are the spares trimmed (St. Louis) or full slab? How big are the racks?

I try to find racks that will be 2.75-ish lbs after trimming and they typically cook at 265 for 2 1/2, then foil for 1 1/2 and then glaze and cut and box. If I am only able to find bigger racks I shoot for 3 lbs - 3.25 lbs and add 1/2 hour unfoiled.

As mentioned, the ribs will tighten up after they go in the box, so slightly over-cooked is better.

I usually buy full slabs of spares that are right at 4 pounds (I look for 3.95-4.05 lbs), then I trim them down to St. Louis. I usually cook them to, what seems to me, as slightly over cooked so when they tighten up in the box, the judges get the bite they are looking for. Sounds like I need to take them further into the realm of over-cooked.

I usually buy full slabs of spares that are right at 4 pounds (I look for 3.95-4.05 lbs), then I trim them down to St. Louis. I usually cook them to, what seems to me, as slightly over cooked so when they tighten up in the box, the judges get the bite they are looking for. Sounds like I need to take them further into the realm of over-cooked.

Maybe... I also try to stagger the weight of my racks, having two that are at my target weight, one below and one above that way if my timing is off for some reason I m covered.

Are you cooking at Blue Island? We're thinking about coming down to check it out.

Maybe... I also try to stagger the weight of my racks, having two that are at my target weight, one below and one above that way if my timing is off for some reason I m covered.

Are you cooking at Blue Island? We're thinking about coming down to check it out.

That's good advice about staggering the weight. I'll keep that nugget in mind for sure. I'm not cooking Blue Island. After two last weekend, I (read, my wife) would prefer to stay at home for a couple weekends and get a few things done. Next comp, and last of the year, is Lamb's Farm as Hatfield and McCoy BBQ.

As they have said, wrap sooner. 3 hours is too much, 3 hours 15 min is REALLY too long, especially at your higher temp.

I run mine cooker at 235 and I'm wrapping at 2h 30m or 2h 45m, but usually never longer.

As the great advice above says, cook a little longer total, but short before the wrap, and until the bones are almost coming out with a twist and they'll tighten up nicely for the judges.

+1 on erring on the side of overcooking. There is a middle ground, but if you have to pick, wrap for longer to make them more tender.

SOME people like fall off the bone ribs, NOBODY likes tough ones.

Our only 2nd place rib call we got, I thought for sure the ribs were overdone. I would have bet money on it. The only thing I can think of is that they tightened up for the judges.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I will practice making some adjustments to my timeline over the winter.

Keep in mind, in KCBS it's a texture score . . . not tenderness. That could mean too sticky from sauce, dry meat, too tender, too tough, dry on the outside. Don't jump to the conclusion that you need to get more tender to increase your texture score.

Eggspert

Check your ribs after they sit out for a half hour, they can tighten-up some by the time the judges get to them. What seems like perfect ribs when you are boxing may not be so a few minutes latter.

+1

I was turning in spot-on ribs, until I tried them after turn ins and found they had tightened up during the 20 minutes they sat out. The judges were getting these ribs, not what I though I was turning in. My scores went up after I aimed for a little over.

Keep in mind, in KCBS it's a texture score . . . not tenderness. That could mean too sticky from sauce, dry meat, too tender, too tough, dry on the outside. Don't jump to the conclusion that you need to get more tender to increase your texture score.

Eggspert

Just to clarify, per the rulebook, KCBS judges on Appearance, Taste and Tenderness.

It's definitely a grey area. On the KCBS rules it mentions the word tenderness but the judging handbook from when I took the class states tenderness/texture. I believe the score card just says tenderness but Im going to assume they factor texture into that score if it is a texture they like/dislike.

There were some folks suggesting they change it to texture for the reasons Eggspert noted. Texture would be more in line with how it is actually judged versus what the KCBS states.

+1

I was turning in spot-on ribs, until I tried them after turn ins and found they had tightened up during the 20 minutes they sat out. The judges were getting these ribs, not what I though I was turning in. My scores went up after I aimed for a little over.

Ribs are usually my downfall. Last weekend, mine were overcooked big time. Had a hard time finding 8 bones that wouldn't fall out! Got my 2nd call of the year in ribs. I learned something!

Back