How early in the week do you make your injection?

Blythewood BBQ'er

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I did mine Thursday nights before I was forced to change shifts. Since I'm on a night shift now that is not an option. I'm using Butchers bbq pork, and some juice. Will I be ok doing it Tuesday night. Keeping it in the fridge til Friday morning of course. Thanks in advance.

Like soup, injections benefit from the "day after" effect, so mixing a couple days in advance helps the flavors to meld.

As heavy with sodium as most are, there are no worries of spoilage even if you keep them in the fridge for weeks, let alone days. Brine doesn't spoil.

I normally do it on Thursday, but I'm going to do it either tonight or tomorrow night for this weekend, due to some schedule issues. I'm not worried about it.

Does anyone notice mixing them early causing more injection marks in meet?

If we have back to back comps we will make a double batch, so one sits for 10 days before the comp. It hasn't caused any problems with marks. You need to treat it properly though - cooling as soon as you make it. Don't leave it sitting around at room temp.

If we have back to back comps we will make a double batch, so one sits for 10 days before the comp. It hasn't caused any problems with marks. You need to treat it properly though - cooling as soon as you make it. Don't leave it sitting around at room temp.

Thanks. I'm gonna give it a try. Just mixed mine for the weekend and straight to the fridge.

^^^ditto^^^. Every couple days I'll give it a good shaking. Never had any problems.

Thanks for all the education guys! This is our freshman year competing and I'm thankful that I have this great place to help us out. We're doing four comps this year. So far we've done well in ribs and chicken but struggle in butts. We did two comps this spring and have our final two in October. They are strictly butts, but were doing chicken entries for people's choice on Friday nights. Again thank you all for the guiding hand!

On edit made some injection up before I went to work tonight for a practice run this weekend.

Back